Scabs on comb?

Last mosquito season one of our hens had these spots. We researched and found the same answers in this post. We treated all of them with oregano in their drinking water. Fresh from the plant or essential oils is what we placed in the water. Our hen soon was better and no more spots. five months later we saw another hen with the same spots. We are currently treating with the same oregano treatments in the water. I am not sure where they come from, it could be mosquitos or chickens... I am leaning more towards mosquitos because the hen's that so far have shown symptoms are dominant hens.

One of my 3 RIR has a scab on her comb. Or a infection? She is at 30 weeks no eggs. She is prettiest but have noticed she seems to stay in her own. I'm watching her more after I found this in her. I'm very invoked with them and it seemed over night. Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.
its seams to be straight through and a bit swollen. All 3 have smaller ones.. However none of my other breeds have healthy combs.

Last edited:
Hi Angie... I've never had any experience with this, thank goodness, but from what I've seen and read, I think it looks like fowl pox. You can put iodine on the sores on their combs to fight bacteria and make sure they get lots of vitamins to help them recover. You might want to read more about fowl pox to decide if that is what they have and how it spreads.

Back
Top Bottom