Scalped Cockeral

Pics
Bernie and Conner are both from a RIR sire and Barred Rock Hen.
Momma:
IMG958553.jpg

Daddy:
IMG958003.jpg

Conner and Bernie are from same clutch.

I wonder if a cone would work?

View attachment 1607218

Nope they do not! At least not in my experience. I had a hen with depluming mites on her face that made her itch terribly so she kept scratching up her face and would not let it heal. No kind of bandage would stick to her dang crested head. So I handmade a plastic cone... And she just sat there with her face on the floor even though it was very lightweight. When I tried to encourage her to move around she kept spazzing out trying to get it off. So I scrapped the cone and used bandages on her TOES instead. No more scratching!

Maybe it was just the angle that made Bernie's saddle feathers look pointy like a rooster's.
I hope I don't have it backwards, rooster do have pointy saddle and hackle feathers, don't they?

Nope they do not! At least not in my experience. I had a hen with depluming mites on her face that made her itch terribly so she kept scratching up her face and would not let it heal. No kind of bandage would stick to her dang crested head. So I handmade a plastic cone... And she just sat there with her face on the floor even though it was very lightweight. When I tried to encourage her to move around she kept spazzing out trying to get it off. So I scrapped the cone and used bandages on her TOES instead. No more scratching!
Good thinking!

Back
Top Bottom