Scaly leg mites or infected feather follicle

ChristinaMc86

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
New York
I recently adopted a rooster in need of a home. He has heavily feathered feet, and ive heard this can sometimes be an issue in terms of infection. I noticed he was lifting his leg often after he arrived at my house. I checked to see if there was an injury, but all I noticed was a little redness. Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse. If it is an infected feather follicle, should I pull it out? Or should I just soak his feet in Epson salt and leave his feathers alone? I’m going to try elector PSP just in case it is scaly leg mites. Its causing him a great deal of pain and I want to treat him properly ASAP so any recommendations would be appreciated!!! Thank you

This is what we identified as feather cysts on our 5 month old Easter Eggers. We removed most infected feathers, soaked their feet in Epsom salt and spent the next few days monitoring and pulling out and new infected feathers and now they are all healed up.

Is there a way to prevent feather cysts? From my research I know some of it is just due to the genetics of the breed, but is it possible they are missing something in their diet? They are eating a 50/50 mixture of layer food and scratch grains....then meal worms as a snack.
20230802_161703.jpg

Attachments

• 20230802_160225.jpg
    20230802_160225.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 19
This is what we identified as feather cysts on our 5 month old Easter Eggers. We removed most infected feathers, soaked their feet in Epsom salt and spent the next few days monitoring and pulling out and new infected feathers and now they are all healed up.

Is there a way to prevent feather cysts? From my research I know some of it is just due to the genetics of the breed, but is it possible they are missing something in their diet? They are eating a 50/50 mixture of layer food and scratch grains....then meal worms as a snack.
View attachment 3604884
You are going to start having serious trouble by feeding your hens like this

Scratch is a treat and shouldn't be feed more than one tablespoon worth per bird per day. Mealworms are the same. They are very high in fat.

Both take away from the birds getting a balanced diet. The layer feed is the balanced diet.

If this doesn't make sense think of it this way:
The scratch and mealworms are like a candy and cake.

It is not okay or healthy to eat candy and cake every single day.

Hmmm this is what the feed store told me to feed my mixed flock... what should I be feeding them? This is what they told me to mix I am attaching label so you can see. Is there something I can feed them for roosters and hens?
We feed out flock non-medicated chick starter crumbles - everyone gets it - rooster, babies, pullets, cockerels and hens. It is 20% protein which helps the babies grow with less calcium for the rooster/young ones. The hens will need a source of calcium that they can freely select if they need it. I used flaked oyster shells.

Others will suggest an all-flock type feed. Make sure it is not grain based, but formulated or they will pick out what they want and that can lead to deficiencies.

How cold is it, can you bath/spray the bird? A bucket mixed with permethrin 13.3, salt, medicated tail and mane shampoo. after i dry him off, coconut oil the feet, comb and waddles. Spray the coop,roost, nest box with permethrin.

Hmmm this is what the feed store told me to feed my mixed flock... what should I be feeding them? This is what they told me to mix I am attaching label so you can see. Is there something I can feed them for roosters and hens?

Attachments

• 16916748403894133537805903701875.jpg
    16916748403894133537805903701875.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 16916748760447242329543745541946.jpg
    16916748760447242329543745541946.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom