Scared of Sevin Dust ~ help with fleas needed fast!!!

Quote:
What product do you use of theirs for the lawn? That's where my biggest problem is.
hmm.png

Quote:
I was thinking of maybe using the granules right before we are supposed to have a storm or something. That way I will be sure that they granules will dissolve.
smile.png

I use FOOD GRADE DE on my birds and always have. I put it directly on them as well as in their bedding and in their nesting boxes. I have found very few people here on BYC that don't use DE. As a matter of fact I can't recall anyone not using it.

we use 5% sevin dust on about everything from the pets to the gardens.
We can spray under our house and for that we use malathion and have never had a problem using either,Malathion will take care of the fleas and will also take care of an ant problem by spraying next to the house all the way around.
We quit using flea shampoo on our pets and now was the outside in a tub using dawn dishwashing detergent and the fleas literally drop off of them.
Have never used the DE and am hesitant about using it. I just figure if it will cut up worms inside my chickens what is it doing to their stomachs? Have not read up on it enough yet to be comfortable using it but just had my own opinion that it would be about like me eating something with finely ground glass in it. Will have to study up on it more and then I may try it.

Quote:
I am in no way shape or form arguing with you, debating this, or starting anything. I just wanted to share my 2 cents. I am/was a vet tech. While working as a vet tech I went to a few conferences on some of the various products such as Frontline. Keep in mind, these were not sponsored by the product manufacturers. They went into the science of different products (Drop form) flea killers. Over the counter medicines like Hartz, or anything you can pick up at walmart..Walgreens, etc are BAD business. They have known carcinogens in them and the level of toxicity has been known to immediately kill extremely sensitive animals. However prescription flea killers like Frontline (Mostly, the expensive ones!) work off the dog's lipids (Fats) by soaking into the fatty tissue.. they're not a "poison" like you're thinking. They're a sort of enzyme that is in fact toxic to fleas, but little else. They destroy the fleas neurological system, and make unlaid eggs that survive to be laid unable to hatch. As disgusting as this sounds, Frontline specifically can be overdosed by 100 times (The most I personally know it has been tested at) and even drank by a human up to a 100 doses with absolutely zero side effect. Just because something is toxic to a particular critter doesn't mean it's dangerous otherwise. I believe wholeheartedly in the prescription lipid absorbing flea products.. the OTC ones are the dangerous ones.

Quote:
I am in no way shape or form arguing with you, debating this, or starting anything. I just wanted to share my 2 cents. I am/was a vet tech. While working as a vet tech I went to a few conferences on some of the various products such as Frontline. Keep in mind, these were not sponsored by the product manufacturers. They went into the science of different products (Drop form) flea killers. Over the counter medicines like Hartz, or anything you can pick up at walmart..Walgreens, etc are BAD business. They have known carcinogens in them and the level of toxicity has been known to immediately kill extremely sensitive animals. However prescription flea killers like Frontline (Mostly, the expensive ones!) work off the dog's lipids (Fats) by soaking into the fatty tissue.. they're not a "poison" like you're thinking. They're a sort of enzyme that is in fact toxic to fleas, but little else. They destroy the fleas neurological system, and make unlaid eggs that survive to be laid unable to hatch. As disgusting as this sounds, Frontline specifically can be overdosed by 100 times (The most I personally know it has been tested at) and even drank by a human up to a 100 doses with absolutely zero side effect. Just because something is toxic to a particular critter doesn't mean it's dangerous otherwise. I believe wholeheartedly in the prescription lipid absorbing flea products.. the OTC ones are the dangerous ones.

First let me say thank you for the informative post. I totally believe that what you are saying is the truth because I have had more than one vet/vet tech say very similar things BUT my mother's dog had a horrible reaction to some flea drops. Please know that this dog was extremely small and it was not frontline that was used. I think it was something called Bio-spot or something like that. Anyway now that I have that out of the way, is there ANYTHING besides drops that can be used on DOGS effectively? I know collars are useless and sometimes a very unhealthy choice for the tiny breeds. I did use one dose of the hartz brand drops on my dog but now I am hearing horrible things about that product. I just can't afford the frontline at this point in my life and I do not intend to continue with the hartz drops.

Back
Top Bottom