Scared of Sevin Dust ~ help with fleas needed fast!!!

Have you tried Permectrin dusting powder.
but if you have a hugh problem its best to use a professonal
maybe your neighbor at the same time could
have it done. on her grounds also.that would help.

Last edited:
Yes I use the poultry dust on the chickens and DE in their coops and boxes and sevin in yard but thank you for the suggestion. I have always just used DE and poultry dust in the past. I was scared of putting sevin directly on the birds that is why I chose the poultry dust. It has that permectrin (sp?) stuff in it. We even put some sevin dust in some DE and dusted the neighbor lady's yard.
big_smile.png

Oh I forgot to say that I learned from another BYCer that you can sprinkle 20 mule team borax (from the laundry section of the store) into the carpets in the house and let it set and it will get rid of fleas in the house. I did that too just in case the little buggers were hiding somewhere.

If you don't know what borax is it is most commonly used for a laundry soap booster but after a little research I have found it is good for just about everything.

I learn something new everyday on this site.

Yes, Borax is great. There is a finer borax powder that works well on both fleas and roaches, brand here is Roach Pruf, I think, available at our Ace Hardware. I keep some in one of those ketchup squirt bottles to dust under the refrigerator, etc.

Often it is necessary to spray under the house as well. I recently read that Dawn dish soap on the grass kills them. Like so many bugs, you have to reapply after eggs hatch.

Works like DE, scratches them to death, no resistance develops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have not read all the posts here and I am not sure that I have all the answers. However, here is what has worked for me.
First, do not kill those little black ants outside….they are great for eating flea eggs. They carry the flea eggs back to the nest for the babies to eat.
wink.png

Next for in the house I sprinkle baking soda in the rugs. You leave it for a few minutes and then vacuum it up. This kills the fleas, and dehydrates the flea eggs and keeps them from hatching. Do this every week for a few weeks. It works!
wee.gif

I used to use a “flea-comb” which works great on shorthaired animals. You comb and drop the fleas in soapy water. You can decimate the population on the animal and reproduction is brought to a halt.

I do not use chemicals and I have not had a flea problem in over five years. My cats are indoor cats only. I used to have dogs too and we were overrun with fleas. It was horrible.
he.gif

Now that I have chickens, I am waiting to see how it goes outside. I learned about the ants eating the flea eggs on the Internet. I keep the ants outside but of course, if they come inside they are history.
frow.gif

Good luck.

May I please add and I may get some static for this. Those oh so handy “little” drops you put on your animals backs for the fleas or those flea collars…...

Think about it. Your skin and your dog’s skin is no different, is an organ of your body; it absorbs a poison to kill a bloodsucking insect within minutes. Your other organs, such as the liver and kidneys also absorb this poison.

Do not let manufactures trying to make a quick buck assure you that these chemicals are safe. You have just killed an insect that makes its living from sucking YOUR and your animal’s blood.
Years ago, within months of my using these products my dog got cancer and died. Vets just tell you that cancer is just part of old age. NOT SO! It is just that WE have been taught to just accepted that cancer an usual part of life. I don’t think so!

And, oh, yes at one time I used to conveniently bomb my house with flea bombs. I have had cancer twice. Hello!
cool.png

Quote:
You won't get any static from me. Do a little research on hair color, as just one example, or drugs to prevent osteoporosis and breast cancer.

Trouble is, we are already at the point that the only way to be safe is to stop eating, drinking and breathing.

I am thinking of buying some Sevin for this summer. No DE available so far around here. So as from what I am reading Sevin is save to sprinkle on the ground where my chickens scratch. Some are in tractors and I have the tractors in shade(woods) because of heat. NC is notorious for ticks, and I would hate for one to attach to the birds, even though they usually eat them. I used Sevin once about 20 years ago for mites on parrots, I did notice some deformed chicks after the use but it did clear up the mites.

Back
Top Bottom