Scares me every time I see this,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tigercreek, Sep 10, 2011.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I am starting to think they do it just to be messin' with me!! I al ready have a heart condition........

[​IMG]

Getting some sun, right, it's over 90 degrees out there!! ...........stan

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Haha, they do look so unnatural flopped out with that one leg stretched out, it startles me every time too. So you run to see if they are dead and they squawk and run away, and then BOTH of you are startled. [​IMG]

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Ours do that too, but one of them sticks a leg out at a strange angle. I swear my heart stopped the first time I saw her doing that!

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Definitely startling when the "dead chicken" jumps up and squawks! "Why are YOU messing with my NAP!"

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Oh yeah, scares the crap out of me every time.

6. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My 8 year old daughter screamed and ran to our chicken who was laid out llke that yesterday, scared the poor thing.
    [​IMG]
    They look so funny sunning themselves.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I am so used to chickens doing that, but when little chickies are sleeping, my heart skips a beat. --I have to check to see if they are still alive [​IMG].

8. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:The daughter or the chicken? [​IMG]

9. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:Me and one of my golden retrievers feel the same, we "check the babies" and if they are sleeping he nudges the brooder with his nose to wake them up!

10. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    No, you guys...a dead chicken has it's butt in the air. So if you see a triangle[their tails up high] then that is BAD. Obviously they can have legs every which way or wings out, but a butt in the air=dead or dang near it. Also...'screaming goat' is the sound of chickens being massacred. I know this from my dumb dog going for my flock back last fall. [​IMG]
    The common dead bird pose is for more 'natural' deaths...or an evil dust bathing chicken wanting to scare the bananas outta you..lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by