Scary Moment, but funny ending :)

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
so my 16 year old daughter and 15 year old son wanted to get out of the house a bit on saturday. understandable, because I had the bbq going, lots of family out and the house was practically all standing room only... So I don't blame them. At least one of them grabbed a cell phone before they went out.

My phone rings... Daughter is near tears and tells me they're lost. Basement? No the went for a walk. Ok, where did you go? Through the trails? Down the ridge and crossed the river? Did you see the railroad tracks yet? No? Ok, go back towards the river and I'll find you.

Little buttheads got turned around. The river basically runs north south as does the railroad tracks, so they were in the strip in the middle. Quite a bit of an area to cover, but they told me they crossed the river.. Only crossing is a massive oak that fell across it so that narrows it down for me.

I say my apologies that I have a kid matter to take care of and put my shoes on. Dad realized more than a squabble was afoot so I pulled him aside and told him what was going on. He immediately wanted to grab the car and go on the road to the north of us and walk it backwards (river n railroad tracks), but I assured him that I knew where they were but keep his phone handy in case we ended up a mile or two away.

So I am jogging down our trails, dodging briars and raspberry bushes, ducking branches and then head towards the river when I hit the main trail. After about 5 more minutes I hear my son and daughter talking up ahead so they obviously figured out their bearings and found the main trail.. Ok, the gremlin in me jumped out at this point.. I took 3 big steps off the trail..

They are about 50 yards away and I played this song from my cell phone - http://www.geico.com/about/commercials/music/kash/ of course they hear it and they stop all of a sudden. My daughter calls my phone while I'm watching her. She tells me they found the main trail and was I still on my way? They were sorta scared. Told them sure sure (trying not to giggle) and they started walking again. that's when I jumped out of the trails wearing my blue jeans and black hoodie (up of course) daughter screamed and threw her phone at me, son yelled and just about fell back into a huge briar patch and when they realized it was me I ended up having to run all the way back home so they wouldn't hit me with the big stick they picked up for that purpose.

Snuck the kids in the back door to get cleaned up
smile.png
Apparently I scared at least one of them pretty good
wink.png

Quote:
Honestly, I've only had 1 trick or treeter show up at the house
sad.png
I think they got lost? I was so shocked that I had to dip into my secret stash of candy to give the little guy. Of course the wife was not amused I had a stashes of reece's..
hide.gif

That's so funny! Not them feeling lost but that you scared them! Next time tell them to hug a tree, this way they won't get lost any more than they are! Most people want to keep going, and it's usually in the wrong direction!

Quote:
Honestly I never thought to send them out with a compass, but that's on the list.. because if they go in between the river and the RR tracks, there is a road to the north, and a gravel pit to the south. Pretty easy stuff to navigate when you're lost. There is no real trails once you go down the ridge towards the river though, just tall oak trees and saw grass.

Now I have to get the compass's out and try to remember the declination for our area
hmm.png
I tried showing them Satellite maps of the area a while back but they are still working on that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom