Goose eggs didnt have heat for 2 hours are they done for!?

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
I really screwed up šŸ˜­ I've been following the "take the eggs out to cool for 10 minutes and mist them" method. Well I'm going to blame my ADHD for losing track of time and my phone for being dead because I typically set a timer for myself. I can't believe I did this! They sat out of the incubator for 2 hours, they were cool to the touch when I put them back in. It's day 5 and every single one of them was showing amazing veining. Are they completely done for? Man I screwed up so bad, this is my first time attempting goose eggs.

Theyā€™ll be fine, donā€™t stress. Geese and ducks get off the nests for longer periods of time than we realize. I bet some or all of them continue developing.

THEY NEED BACK IN THE INCUBATOR RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted about this before, but I once had an incompetent classmate who unplugged the incubator to vacuum the science class. And left it. For twelve hours. I had a bit of a panic, but fixed the incubator and got 7 out of 12 hatch!

Attachments

• 575F6F73-46CF-42E8-9A67-FD477232F1B2.jpeg
    575F6F73-46CF-42E8-9A67-FD477232F1B2.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 3
Also Iā€™m autistic, I totally understand. Canā€™t remember how many times Iā€™ve gone to do something upstairs, done something completely different, then walk halfway downstairs before I realized ā€œoh, wasnā€™t the whole point of going upstairs to get the phone charger I left upstairs?ā€

Also Iā€™m autistic, I totally understand. Canā€™t remember how many times Iā€™ve gone to do something upstairs, done something completely different, then walk halfway downstairs before I realized ā€œoh, wasnā€™t the whole point of going upstairs to get the phone charger I left upstairs?ā€
Chicken eggs are SO much easier šŸ˜… I put them in and basically forget about it until I see pips then hyper focus on them for a few days until they hatch lol.
Little did I know that was not the case with geese. The girl I bought them from recommended this method and I knew from the get go it was going to be hard lol

THEY NEED BACK IN THE INCUBATOR RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted about this before, but I once had an incompetent classmate who unplugged the incubator to vacuum the science class. And left it. For twelve hours. I had a bit of a panic, but fixed the incubator and got 7 out of 12 hatch!
Thank god. I put them back in the moment I realized what I had done. Then started freaking out that I might have killed them. You've honestly taken away my worry, thank you so much for sharing. I am so relieved. They're Sebastopol eggs and I've wanted these geese forever! I finally found some and paid a pretty price on them so I'm just praying they are all ok.

I cool my eggs for 20 to 30 min after day 10 of the hatch. Then mist with warm water just before putting them back in the incubator
The Idea is to allow the developing embryo to cool down. The more developed the embryo the more heat they generate on there own.
You will be fine at 2 hours. your hatch may be a few hours later on hatch time.
As long as you got them back up to temperature they will develop normally.

I cool my eggs for 20 to 30 min after day 10 of the hatch. Then mist with warm water just before putting them back in the incubator
The Idea is to allow the developing embryo to cool down. The more developed the embryo the more heat they generate on there own.
You will be fine at 2 hours. your hatch may be a few hours later on hatch time.
As long as you got them back up to temperature they will develop normally.
This must be why my incubator (Brinsea 56EX) has settings for cool-down times. I've never used it and figured the two times I candle them, that's their "cool down" time if they needed it. ā˜ŗļø

Back
Top Bottom