Schijndelaar Thread

These ones look rather pale

1642876251092.png

Never heard of this breed!
The first time I heard of this breed was a few years ago when doing a research on the production of blue egg layers

Here is the research(can't post PDF) Productive performance of Easter egger crosses of Araucana and Schijndelaar roosters with white Leghorn hens

1642877120615.png

Anyone wanting to get an idea of how many eggs do schijndelaar and Araucana lay on a year you should read the research

Last edited:
So i have 2 Schijndelaar ladies. One named garlic and the other named Onion. Garlic has laid us several blueish eggs and her sister onion started laying and her egg is noticably a grey-green. First photo shows the blue egg by itself beside my brown eggs. Second photo has the green next to the blue. The colors are easier to tell when there are other eggs nearby to contrast against them. An interesting note, the grey green layer has a (flaw) single comb and more of a crest, while the blueer egg has a pea comb and less crest. I wonder if this has something to do with the coloration of the eggs. Who knows. Just throwing it out there. We need more photos and discussion on this rare breed for sure. Gosh they're so sweet, too. I love my gentle Schijndelaars. 💕

Attachments

• 20220125_100155.jpg
    20220125_100155.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220125_100128.jpg
    20220125_100128.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 20
Our easter egger who always lays xl blue eggs laid her first of the season today. Here is a photo of hers vs our 2 smaller Schijndelaar eggs for color comparison.

Attachments

• 20220125_151804.jpg
    20220125_151804.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 20
There are other colors, just not in the USA as far as I'm aware.
I've seen there are also barred, black, blue, lavender, chocolate and barred lavender; I also heard of the bantam Schijndelaar. But I'm not sure any of these it's recognized in any european Country.

I wonder why their eggs look so faded? They should be an established breed so their blue egg color should be more intense
I think maybe because the breed it's still "young" and because it was created mixing breeds that lay different colors of eggs. This breed was created mixing Araucanas (blue eggs), Sumatras (white or pale tan eggs), Leghorns (white eggs) and some other breeds. It was finished only in 1999 and officially recognized in 2001.
I don't really know why the egg color is faded. Maybe because the creators wanted this shade of blue/green, maybe many breeders are still working on type rather than on the egg.

Back
Top Bottom