SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
My kids could pray in school if they wanted to,now the school can't say lets all pray.But if kids want to read the bible and/or pray they are allowed to.
Thats the rules its up to kids if they want to pray or not.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ps_pra9.htm

Prayer is allowed -- and in fact is a protected form of free speech -- throughout the public school system. Students can pray in school busses, at the flag-pole, in student religious clubs, in the hallways, cafeteria, etc.

If the school has as few as one extra-curricular student-led and student-organized group, then students have a legal right to organize a Bible or other religious club to meet outside of classroom time.

My son got in trouble for bringing his Bible to school and reading it on recess. One of the reasons we started homeschooling. He was in 4th grade.

Quote:
Unfortunately that still happened today.

We adopted my daughter from foster care. Her birth mother tried to drown her then 3 month old sister and had a plan to kill the other children. My daughter was thin and undernourished. Her birth father was molesting her. The state did take them out of their home and put them into foster home, BUT gave them 18 months to get it together and still made us take the kids to visits 4 times a week, even though my daughter begged not to go and would even wet herself in the parking lot. I was told just to bring a change of clothes. It did come out later that while at family therapy, her birth father molested her in the bathroom and threatned her so she would not tell. She was 4.

Quote:
You are incorrect in your assumption. I do not support those things, but I acknowledge they happen, and live with that reality. I do not waste time saying "if they didn't, life would be perfect" which is simply wishing for the world to change while I do nothing. Instead, I say "These things happen. What can I do to make the world a better place in spite of that reality?"

Here's a different example to better show the two ways of thinking: let's say I was broke. I could say "if I had money, I could pay off all my debt." Or I could say "I have debt. What do I need to do to pay that off?" The first statement makes my situation sound hopeless, and that I am at the mercy of luck to get out of my situation. The second acknowledges reality, and seeks an active solution to the problem.

Well, the solution is of course God.

Of course....
roll.png

That may be your solution, but as I said before, I prefer to live in reality.

Quote:
First of all, not true. Secondly, we don't all subscribe to the same set of beliefs, playing the victim card because you aren't allowed to preach yours to those who don't want to hear it won't get you much sympathy.

It is true in many school. You are not allowed to mention God. My brother did a speech in the late 90's and he mentioned God and was suspended for it. That is not freedom of religion.

Quote:
First of all, not true. Secondly, we don't all subscribe to the same set of beliefs, playing the victim card because you aren't allowed to preach yours to those who don't want to hear it won't get you much sympathy.

It is true in many school. You are not allowed to mention God. My brother did a speech in the late 90's and he mentioned God and was suspended for it. That is not freedom of religion.

There is a difference between "mentioning god" and stating your opinion as fact, or the only way to be. If you give a speech at a public school saying that the only salvation is through Jesus then yes, you deserve to get in trouble. If you get up and say "I am comforted by my relationship with Jesus" then I wouldn't have any problem -- because you're talking about yourself, and not saying what other people should do. And that's what it comes down to about religion in school. You can't promote one without also denouncing the rest. The very selection of one over the rest implies that it is superior. And in a public school, that violates our Constitution.

smile.png

Bottom line, the world would be a better place if we all acted like decent human beings. That's what almost every faith system/religion is striving for; people acting decent to one another. That's what every diversity training that anyone ever had to sit through says. Don't be a jerk.

Many of the things on the 1957 school vs 2011 school are about those issues. People have had a history of abusing and not treating in a decent manner the disenfranchised: children, minorities, people with disabilities, and the poor. Because people couldn't be decent without a push, we have rules to protect them. If people had followed the ideals that they espouse, and lead upright moral lives, these rules would not have been necessary.

I've seen several people on this board say, when confronted by hypocrisy by Christians, well those people aren't Christians anyway. They are Christians, but they are not following the rules of Christ. Sometimes people's innate evil, cultural mindset, prejudice or hatred get in the way of the values they profess to admire. This is true of practicianers of every religion....Christian, Muslim, Hindi, Taoist, etc. It wasn't so long ago in this country that preachers said that blacks couldn't be trusted to vote. Churches in Africa are currently preaching that killing witches and/or gays is okay.

Quote:

There is a difference between "mentioning god" and stating your opinion as fact, or the only way to be. If you give a speech at a public school saying that the only salvation is through Jesus then yes, you deserve to get in trouble. If you get up and say "I am comforted by my relationship with Jesus" then I wouldn't have any problem -- because you're talking about yourself, and not saying what other people should do. And that's what it comes down to about religion in school. You can't promote one without also denouncing the rest. The very selection of one over the rest implies that it is superior. And in a public school, that violates our Constitution.

smile.png

He said that God was what helped him through school. Never tried to persuade anyone. He was suspended for 2 days! This was in Oklahoma.

My son brought his Bible to school and read alone, never tried to make anyone read with him and he was told if he brought it again, he would be suspended. This was in Texas. WEll, we started homeschooling soon after that.

3 of my children now are in public schools and it is an amazing school. They would not do that and they even allow for a moment of silence. I believe it depends on the teacher and the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom