Scissor beak/ cross beak

Slicker chicker

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
So I have another question about my Polish that has a severe Crossbeak… I got her that way from my local tractor supply as a baby chick. I’ve had her for a few months now, and her sisters are much bigger than her, and she is still very tiny. I am worried that when it comes time to lay eggs that it is going to kill her. Is she so stunted in growth that maybe she will never lay eggs? Or is that day going to come and she’s gonna have an egg that she absolutely cannot pass because she is the size of a large chick .I am worried that when it comes time to lay eggs that it is going to kill her. Is she so stunted and growth that maybe she will never lay eggs? Or is that day going to come and she’s gonna have an egg that she absolutely cannot pass? I am EXTREMELY attached to her. I have syringe fed her and she can now eat better if she can scoop. I haven’t hand fed her in probably almost a week. She is small enough I can put her in my hood to my hoodie :)

Attachments

• 71721540861__7B4E4A19-F07D-414C-95E5-8A3F6C0597BC.jpeg
    71721540861__7B4E4A19-F07D-414C-95E5-8A3F6C0597BC.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6914.jpeg
    IMG_6914.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7067.jpeg
    IMG_7067.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 9
I think it really depends. I have one hen (not crossbeak, but definitely on the higher needs side) who is smaller than the rest of mine but otherwise healthy, and she will lay, just not as much as any of my others. I just watch her carefully because she has had issues in the past and she tends to lay bigger eggs than any of my others for some reason.

I don't know if you have heard of the CrossBeak Poultry in Motion group on Facebook, or their related group Crossbeaks and Special Needs, but they have some really useful advice on how to feed crossbeaks (and other high needs poultry) and help them thrive if you're looking for more information.

Back
Top Bottom