Scissor beak success stories?

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
This Amara :) she’s an EE, and a very happy girl
DEE46038-27E8-4006-933E-DCE4D6661E75.jpeg

About two days after we got these chicks I noticed something off about her beak, and realized it was scissor beak. At first it wasn’t bad, but now it’s getting worse, I offered her some food to see how/if she would pick it up, and she couldn’t get it in her beak.

I took their food and mixed it with water, I’ve heard that easier for scissor beaks to scoop up. I also put some nutri-drench in the water for now.

Is there anything else I can do? Does anyone else have a scissor beak and some tips for caring for her? Especially when it comes to food and water. We use horizontal nipples on a bucket, I don’t know if she will be able to use those.

Just a little happy ending to this rather short thread :) tonight my younger sister told me that the beak seemed to be aligned, I was skeptical but hopeful so I went out to check. It was! So I ran inside with Amara to show her to my other younger sister, who is her owner, and she said she had prayed for it to straighten!

Before and after pics!
E0C08EE4-B4F2-4E12-9136-72E1D29C0967.jpeg
61D20F5A-E3E5-4C80-BCFA-222769DB2B8B.jpeg

Just a little happy ending to this rather short thread :) tonight my younger sister told me that the beak seemed to be aligned, I was skeptical but hopeful so I went out to check. It was! So I ran inside with Amara to show her to my other younger sister, who is her owner, and she said she had prayed for it to straighten!

Before and after pics!
View attachment 2334107View attachment 2334108
That is amazing! I'm so happy for Amara! I'm going to pray for my little two-week old chick that is showing signs of it too.

That is amazing! I'm so happy for Amara! I'm going to pray for my little two-week old chick that is showing signs of it too.
She is doing super well! I don’t do anything extra for her now :)

I’ll be praying for her too! Don’t forget to get before and after pics, it’s really nice to see how big the change is.

My neighbors had one with a bad beak. Didn't really do anything special for her, they just figured she'd survive or she would die. She did decently.

I have an ayam cemani with very slight beak problems, but I'm hoping it doesn't go worse

I have a rooster with severe CB. With a few considerations, such as mashed food, assistance w/ preening, and a weekly bath, he does fine. He'll be two years old in the spring.

Cross Beak is very common in EE genetics so I encourage you to keep an eye on it. It is a skull deformity and will get worse as the chicken ages. It generally stops shifting at 5 or six months old. Some cases are very mild while others are very severe. There's no way to correct it and it doesn't heal like a broken bone does.

Best of luck with you chicken. I'm here if you need assistance.
68280293_795529362194_1546435200064421888_n.jpg

I have a rooster with severe CB. With a few considerations, such as mashed food, assistance w/ preening, and a weekly bath, he does fine. He'll be two years old in the spring.

Cross Beak is very common in EE genetics so I encourage you to keep an eye on it. It is a skull deformity and will get worse as the chicken ages. It generally stops shifting at 5 or six months old. Some cases are very mild while others are very severe. There's no way to correct it and it doesn't heal like a broken bone does.

Best of luck with you chicken. I'm here if you need assistance.
View attachment 2363810
Oh my goodness, that’s really severe! I’m glad he’s doing well though :)

Thank you! I’ll certainly contact you if there’s trouble, although I believe this was God’s hand in this and I have no doubt that it will continue to be completely fine.

Back
Top Bottom