Scolded by my chicken

Andi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
West Central Minnesota
I just had to share this with you guys!

Up until recently our chickens have been able to get out and do their free ranging in the morning as soon as they wake up. That was because we didn't realize chickens could fly up as well as they can. These are our first chickens. Well, we had to cover their run and now they aren't happy about it.

This morning I brought the dogs out to the kennel, which is right next to the run, when it was just barely starting to get light but still mostly dark. Hahaha! I got yelled at by my chickens! One in particular, Nellie, gave me a scolding I'll never forget! Who would have thought chickens could sound ticked off?! There was no mistaking it! I wish I could capture it on audio! Wait! My camera has audio! I'll try to capture it tomorrow morning (without laughing). Now I'll have to figure out how to post it so if they cooperate I can share it. Any ideas on how to do that? Does Photobucket do video?

Anyway. I can't be the only person that's been chewed out by a chicken. Who else has?

When I'm late with the bedtime treats. They are not so much vocal as pacers...to the run and back to me, to the run and back to me - Don't you know it's treat time already?!
D.gif

Also, lots of grumbly noises when I shoo them away from something that they should not be getting into...like a freshly glued post, or a newly stained coop.
duc.gif

A couple of the girls were just grumbling, but Nellie, dare I say, she sounded like she was threatening me.

Well, I figured out how to do the video part of it. Now I'll just have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if she does it again.

My little black silkie hen named Esmeralda was not doing very well in with the banty hens so I put her in a bigger coop that is divided in half with the first half holding banty chicks that are fully feathered and of those, most are young cockerels. She was grumbling long and unhappily about how those young teenage boy cockerels were driving her crazy and when I didn't get it at first, she then began running around in a small circle after the long grumbling until she got dizzy and repeated the entire scene to drive her point home!

Two nights in a row I put six cockerels in a feed bag, intending to dispatch them, took pity on their "sweet" and at that point, calm selves and let them out of the bag after everyone else had eated and drank their water. Last night, I finally got ahold of myself and dispatched three. Esmeralda is no longer grumbling nor running in circles, for the time being.

Right before bedtime, I went out and checked on her/them and one blue cockerel flew to the top of the ladder to perch for the night and crowed for me LOL, I was hoping he wasn't a he but he had to prove himself after the bossier three were out of the coop. I know the remaining cockerels will begin asserting themselves. One already did last night, the one that looks like a bantam Columbian cockerel. He was pulling one of the girl's "pigtail's" so its only a matter of time when Esmeralda once again will have something to tell me...and I'll do something about it for her sake.

Hopefully Esmeralda and Beasley (he's her roo and he's in a bachelor pad right now with two other room mates) will have their own flock of their own kind this Spring/Summer because right now she's in deep friendship with the black/white duckling andvice versa, who is half Magpie, half Cayuga waiting on a bit more feathering before it can be returned to its parents and duck flock.

I give mine grain for scratch twice a day. If I am later than usual, the more vocal ones are waiting by the gate yelling "Hurry Up with the FOOD we're starving!!" They make a racket and when they see me coming call the others. We have two gates to the backyard and they are always waiting at the one I use. Maybe I should trick them and use the other one to see what they will do. Probably scold me some more.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom