Score 1 for netting

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Two Creeks Farm, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I cleaned up one of my small Pepper gardens that is inbetween the house and coop the other day. A piece of the deer netting had ripped off and I had meant to throw it away. Just a few hours before dark, I walked by it and almost picked it up but had my hands full so it stayed put, right out in the wide open.

My neighbors kid asked what our cats problem was as it rocketed off my wife lap(5 of us were sitting watching the chickens) and darted right to that piece of netting.....at teh same time the neighbor asked if that was a snake. It indeed was, a copperhead, that had become tangled in that netting.

[​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

wow--- the moral to the story is put LOTS of netting in the garden. Interesting post.

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    oh my... did your cat kill it?

4. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    No, I did with a shovel. I had to scare the cat off it however. It has been bitten before and we almost lost him.

I watched that cat this morning kill 2 mice, then watched the chickens run up and take them haha!

We have copperheads and rattlers here but thankfully we do not cross paths very much. This is actually the 1st copperhead ive seen since 2003 here on my place. We are however always looking for them. We killed a 51 inch 10 rattle rattler afew years back next door after the snake was found near the house. Dry years seem to really bring them down on the mid ridges as they follow the mice. One new neighborhood at the base of the mountain is having one heck of a fight with rattlers, ive heard as many as 20 or 30 killed in one yard alone. Not sure if they just happened to build in a bad spot or what ...glad it aint my neighborhood LOL!

5. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    why did you kill the snake? why not relocate it.? anyway you dont have to worry bout that reptile again. neither do your chickens or cat, even more the children.

6. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:I think you answered your own questions

7. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC

Yep, with a non poisonous snake, would do that, not with a copperhead or any other poisonous snake. Besides, handling them is a risky business for anyone who doesn't have the proper training and experience and could end up badly.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY

[​IMG]

9. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky

[​IMG]

10. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Quote:True, too true.
    Snake stick and a 5 gallon bucket works well for me. I hook the snake, drop it in the bucket and take it away from danger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by