Score 1 for netting

Get bitten by a snake and you will discover that for the rest of your life, if it has venom, you will kill it no questions asked! (I was bitten by a copperhead as a teen, NOT a fun experience!)

It is usually fatal for a snake being trapped in that netting, outside factors aside. They die from the slow suffocation of the constriction, having squeezed into the netting . . . a lousy way to go. I would guess the damage of the netting cutting into the snake as it can't back out and can only struggle forward would take some time, but how fast could one find a snake and be able to rescue it with out the snake dying anyway? I'm only playing devil's advocate, because of my breif attempt using netting over the blueberries proved what a critter death trap the stuff is. There are discussions here on BYC about using the stuff actively to trap snakes, it's so effective.

YEP, I LOVE the netting myself! It caught and killed a young rattle snake as it was making its way into the garden my 3 young sons regularly go into with me. I have no guilt whatsoever over it killing that rattler. One of us would have gotten bit for sure had it not been killed.

I DO have guilt over the huge garden snake that got trapped and killed in an old piece of netting the wind had blown away from me. I love any kind of non-poisonous snake, and I dont mind the other kind as long as they stay away from us and ours.

I have never even though about netting. I was just in my garden and something jumped out, thought it was a mouse and then thought it was a snake. It was some kind of lizardy thing, striped with beautiful colors. But kind of large for a lizard.

I do not mess around with copperheads either. This is my yard snake, an eastern yellow bellied racer:

105386_snake11.jpg

I see him in various locations. He would startle me at first, now I am used to it.

I have a 6 foot black snake that lives under our house. She loves it there and I leave her alone. I don't have any mice or rats in the house thanks to her. She did rattle the plumber, though. He got in his truck and never came back!

Now, a poisonous snake I will kill, and I recommend any untrained snake handlers to do the same.

Quote:
In Maryland this past week there have been numerous reports of snake bites, and they are attributing this unusal number of snake/people interaction to both the storm and the earthquake. Snakes are here all the time, but they like to stay away from us as much as we want them to, but the rain and earth trembles have cleary upset them!

Keep an eye out!

Quote:
Beautiful snake, great picture. The lizard is probably a broad head skink....they get around 9 inches.

Thanks! And you are correct. Just looked up broad head skink and that is indeed was it was.

Back
Top Bottom