Scrambled Egg VS. Fried Egg

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Nifty-Chicken, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

No, not which do you like best.

I was making a breakfast burrito for dinner tonight. Usually I use scrambled eggs but made fried eggs (over easy) and put them in the burrito instead.

I notice how very different the fried eggs (all mixed up in my burrito) tasted from scrambled.

So, a question: Why do they taste so different when the process was so similar, but instead of scrambling before frying, they were lightly scrambled after frying?

Is there a point at which where if I scramble less before frying in one batch and scramble more after frying in another batch that the tastes will be the same?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] It depends on which came first, the chicken or the egg?

As a fair amateur cook, I am guessing the yolk and white flavors are more concentrated when mixed after over-easy-ing?
    Possibly the amount of butter is increased with the over-easies?

I love this question, but I don't EAT eggs, I just cook them! And I have 54 chickens? [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    My guess (from experience) is that when the eggs are scrambled, the white and yolk parts are mixed. The yolk, having so much more flavor, will stand out more in a fried egg, then when it is diluted by the whites in a scrambled egg. That's my guess anyway... [​IMG]

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    An eggcellent question.

5. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:I agree with Renee- It is and eggcellent question that I totally have no answer for. [​IMG] But since I am an insomniac with a aching back - I will post this anyway.

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow, you must scramble and fry eggs completely differently from me, because the ingredients and cooking of them are not at all similar when I make those two dishes . . . [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

Quote:Well, that is eggactly why I asked it! [​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

Quote:With regard to ingredients, for this eggsperiment we're using just eggs, scrambled before frying and another batch "scrambled after frying"

Regarding cooking: share with the group, how do you cook scrambled / fried eggs?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Scrambled eggs: in a bowl with a handful of sharp cheddar cheese.

Fried: pat of butter, flip and eat

I prefer fried [​IMG]

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I know what you mean, I have noticed it too. I wonder- Is it because the whites cook most of the way before the scrambling, when they are in the pan? So the white and the yolk dont really MIX up together, they are really just fried and then smooshed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by