Scrambled eggs - cooking with duck eggs

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Okay, new duck owner with newly laying hen. Find that duck eggs do have some differences - most of which family seems to tolerate okay. In most cases seem to like duck eggs better - likely because they are much fresher. However, scrambled eggs seem to be an issue. Consistency, easily overcooked, not sure what is causing the difference in taste/consistency. It's the only thing we seem not to be able to get past, any suggestions on cooking scrambled eggs....more milk maybe?
tongue.gif

I scramble mine without milk, just a tad of butter in an iron skillet, low heat.

Sometimes I fry a few chopped onions or other vegetable in the pan before adding the duck egg.

The duck eggs are more dense. My favorite way to scramble them is to add salt and pepper then 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar. Whip them really good with a hand held blender or in an electric one. That helps to mix them real well and put some air in there. i put some butter in the pan and then a teaspoon of concentrated chicken broth (it's a paste that comes in a jar). Cook over low heat very slowly, stirring or turning constantly.

Another cool recipe is to add in some ricotta, parmesan cheese, and creamed corn - not too much of each, just a dollup. Gives it a yummy creamy consistency.

And then, i do occasionally mix them with regular chicken eggs, as has been suggested.

When i contemplate this I think I may just get a trade system going with someone that raises chicken eggs. I've never had good luck scrambling duck eggs to taste good.

I have a pair of welsh harlequins and a magpie duck..
When I scramble their eggs I always add a little milk and cheese with a little butter in pan and cook them that way... I don't cook them on high heat either... I also like to use a non stick skillet...

I beat my eggs in with a little milk, salt and pepper then pour them in a sizzling hot skittle and stir really fast. It only take a minute or less for them to cook. I had read somewhere that the faster you cook them the better they are. I found this to be true for me. The receipe I found said the longer you cook them the tougher they are. Sometimes I add cheese on top and let it melt. Delicious.

add a little milk, then beat them well with a whisk to add a little air. I think the milk and a good whisking helps the texture and the air keeps them lighter. I cook them quickly, over a fairly high heat, but if you overheat them you can get a texture change.

half and half chicken eggs and duck eggs if you still don't like the texture.

my fav: in a little butter, saute some onions and sliced mushrooms until the onions are cooked and the mushrooms are begining to soften. pour off any excess liquid. add eggs beaten with milk and some shredded swiss cheese. keep the eggs gently moving and turning over in the pan with a spatula until done and the cheese is starting to melt. eat steaming hot!

you may need to experiment with the temperature of your range, too hot and they get a crumbly texture, too low and they get tough. I think they're better in a non-stick pan, rather than in oil or butter... the hot oil cooks the egg too fast and can cause the same texture change as an over-hot pan.

you might also try coddled duck eggs... like hard boiled, but more tender.
cover washed room temp eggs with room temp water in a pan, bring to a full boil. as soon as water boils, remove pan from heat, cover with a lid and let set for 18-22 minutes, depending on the size of the eggs. place eggs in an ice-water bath to rapidly cool them and halt the cooking process. change the water out or add more ice if it warms up past room temperature.

this produces hard boiled eggs with perfect texture, tender and not rubbery, and without the darkening on the outside of the yolk. you might need to adjust the holding time for the size of your eggs to get the yolk done all the way through.

mash the peeled eggs up with some mayo and a bit of pink sea salt, put it on fresh baked bread and you have Food Perfection!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif

very fresh duck eggs can be hard to peel after coddling/boiling... I usually leave the unwashed fresh eggs on the counter for 3-5 days before coddling them, they seem to peel easier and the egg is not affected by the wait if the shells are intact and they haven't been refrigerated.

duck eggs are without a doubt my favorites... yum!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom