Scrambled eggs... How many and often for sick hen

It won't hurt to administer the Corid, just in case. Like one teaspoon to a gallon of water for a few days just to be on the safe side. But that's up to you; you do what you think is best. ;)
If administering medication "just in case" the correct dosage should still be given.
Dosage for Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

It won't hurt to administer the Corid, just in case. Like one teaspoon to a gallon of water for a few days just to be on the safe side. But that's up to you; you do what you think is best. ;)
So far none of the symptoms described are quite like coccidiosis... while it is possible... I will repeat... it's best NOT to throw all kinds of unknown fixes at things and complicate matters even more. All the nutridrench and other things given would make the Corid irrelevant. And coccidia can and do develop resistance to these drugs so they won't work when we need them to... especially with incorrect dosing being used.

I don't have an avian medical degree... but I agree that we are most likely looking at a reproductive issue or maybe even a cancer type thing.

OP, 3 hand fulls of BOSS per day is WAY too much for 9 birds... could result in fatty liver syndrome as well as other deficiencies... What is "megalayer"? The protein and calcium % inside it? Thank you for answering the questions!

So far none of the symptoms described are quite like coccidiosis... while it is possible... I will repeat... it's best NOT to throw all kinds of unknown fixes at things and complicate matters even more. All the nutridrench and other things given would make the Corid irrelevant. And coccidia can and do develop resistance to these drugs so they won't work when we need them to... especially with incorrect dosing being used.

I don't have an avian medical degree... but I agree that we are most likely looking at a reproductive issue or maybe even a cancer type thing.

OP, 3 hand fulls of BOSS per day is WAY too much for 9 birds... could result in fatty liver syndrome as well as other deficiencies... What is "megalayer"? The protein and calcium % inside it? Thank you for answering the questions!
Thanks. Megalay is a 16% protein. Not sure of calcium level in it off hand. They do have oystershells available and a small amount mixed in feeder as well. The BOSS are not handfulls... they are maybe half if that. I grab some and still have to open the door with that hand. lol.

We have had a couple regular poops today :) Still quiet but seems a bit brighter. I have treated her for worms and lice as suggested by vet. Whole flock was treated. She did have some lice on inspection with a flashlight. Thank you to the person who suggested using a flashlight as I did check before but saw nothing. Dark room and flashlight did wonders. <3 Electrolytes have been added to the flocks water and I am still offering her scrambled eggs as she is quite thin compared to all other birds.

Hopeful we are on the mend now...

have treated her for worms and lice as suggested by vet.
Did the vet run a fecal float and see cause to treat for worms? Or said just do it? What was used to treat the worms and lice? Honestly, I think these are secondary issues. But controlling secondary issues can help recovery from primary problem... as things often works together to try and weaken immunity.

Yay, for regular poops!

Thank you for reporting back about your difference with the flashlight! :highfive:

Honestly a little moistened chicken feed will give better nutrition than scrambled eggs. Maybe mix them together even... Hope she continues to improve! :fl

Yeah the flashlight made all the difference in the dark room. She was not interested in the chicken feed so wanted something that I could put probiotics into and get her a bit stronger. This morning she has eating at the feeder! One hen pushed her out of the way and then she went back to it. :)
Was treated with Ivermectin on the skin as was whole flock. Ive only ever done the DE for deworming and in dust baths prior to this. So obviously it didnt or hasn't worked for the lice so vet said good idea to use Ivermectin which will get the lice and any possible worms too. No fecal done.

Hi there, I wondered what the outcome was for you? I have a cream legbar with exactly the symptoms you describe... and I've done all the things you have too (she visited the vet yesterday). Finally eating again - scrambled egg.
Would be interested to know if she was okay in the end?

Back
Top Bottom