Scratch Grain- Why it's useful in flock management and nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking up red millet to see how it was proteinwise and found this great website listing several grains/legumes

http://www.npausa.com/keeping/feeding.htm

I'm finding 15% protein for BOSS. So I'm thinking I should try to get some vetch or peas going next year as well. My chickens free range, but I want to have a range of edibles for them and for the goats I hope to get next year.

Quote:
Resolution, you need to do a bit more research on feed manufacturing in the USA. There is virtually zero Brazillian soybean meal used in the USA. The bulk of almost every feed manufactured in the USA contains products from the USA: Corn, Soybean Meal, DDGS, Wheat, Fat, Minerals. The Chinese have done a great job of adapting (STEALING) vitamin fermentation technology, so most of the vitamins used in feeds are in fact from China. The source of Amino Acids is a mix of US and Chinese. Many manufactures prefer the quality of the ADM Lysine and Threonine, but that usually costs a few cents per lb more than amino acids from China and Korea.

I took this list from the Countryside Organics site, each of these ingredients has the potential to be Chinese.

Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Resolution, you need to do a bit more research on feed manufacturing in the USA. There is virtually zero Brazillian soybean meal used in the USA. The bulk of almost every feed manufactured in the USA contains products from the USA: Corn, Soybean Meal, DDGS, Wheat, Fat, Minerals. The Chinese have done a great job of adapting (STEALING) vitamin fermentation technology, so most of the vitamins used in feeds are in fact from China. The source of Amino Acids is a mix of US and Chinese. Many manufactures prefer the quality of the ADM Lysine and Threonine, but that usually costs a few cents per lb more than amino acids from China and Korea.

I took this list from the Countryside Organics site, each of these ingredients has the potential to be Chinese.

Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid

Jim

I know quite a bit about feed manufacturing in the USA. Brazil exports an enormous amount of soy bean meal to the USA for use in livestock feed and pet food. Regardless, it's GM Soy from anywhere that it might be sent from.

Brazilian Soybean Exports

The Free Market - Soy is cheaper to produce in South America and some of the major feed manufacturers with their own brands- that also produce livestock products made the switch to Brazilian soy in the mid 90's. The demand for soy far exceeds what is produced here. It may not constitute all the soy used but as a commodity, one can never guarantee where it came from.

Cargill

Cargill Poultry Feeds

Let me reiterate that, in my opinion, feeding the globe's burgeoning population trumps some of flag waving alarmist trends including my own aversion to round up ready soy.
Soy is used for lots of things beside nutrition. It's a critical part of the global economy. For major producers of poultry products, there is nothing more economic or appropriate for providing nutrition for their livestock. Nevertheless, the backyard hobbyist and small family farmer are not in that market regiment. They can and do afford to do better for their flocks. Scratch Grain is one way that people can feed their birds without using soy or any imported cereal crops. Finding the appropriate supplements to ameliorate nutrition provided by scratch grain is the next issue. Many people are growing their own crops to feed their poultry and I hope that local farmers will begin to produce milk to make poultry sustenance cheeses. It is also my hope that local meat producers will work harder to provide the sort of meat bi products that were available just a few decades ago- before family operations were largely run out of business by major corporations- but this is not a polemic against anyone but rather in support of--to encourage- the backyard hobbyist and small family farmer to think a bit harder on what they are putting into their birds.

Many people have given up processed food-because of health issues. Yes those foods provide lots of nutrients- much of it added in the form of enriched flour or vitamins or what have you -all to meet specific guidelines- and a huge percentage of Americans subsist almost entirely on processed foods- good for them. I've had plenty of boxed or frozen instant dinners- I can't cook to save my life.- But- I know it's better for me and my family to eat closer to home- from local farms and local gardens- cooperatives and of course our own harvests including gardening, farming, fishing and hunting- getting people to feed their livestock in that same mindset is proving to be a bit of a challenge.
But people are catching on. I think if there was a data ratings thread we'd learn a surprising number of people mix their own feed from scratch- no pun intended.
And I think if we revisited that topic three or four times a year we'd see this is a growing trend. I know for a fact that there are suburban cottage industries springing up all around the nation where house wives are ameliorating their family incomes by mixing feeds for their own customer bases.
They take all the guessing out of mixing feed as they do it for the small family farmer and backyard hobbyist.

Regardless, using a high quality processed soft-feed is efficient and convenient. There are alternatives that replace the soft feed altogether but I think most people combine the soft feed with scratch grain and that some folks are increasing the nutritional quality of their scratch grain by increasing specific ingredients or adding ingredients used for wild birds or pets or what have you.

Getting back to the nutritional quality of the grains and seeds- and to the management of the flock- I'll be returning to earlier posts within this thread as time permits.​

Last edited:
Can anyone advise me as to what brand of scratch is recommended by BYC member "Resolution"? I have been reading some of his excellent message board essays on nutrition and will be ordering UltraKibble. I'd also like to purchase some scratch but don't know which brand or type would be best. After reading some of his essays, I'd like to know his recommendation for scratch.

Thanks,
-Carolyn252

Quote:
I don't think I have seen him say. Sorry. Hopefully he'll continue this soon.
pop.gif

Quote:
I happen to use the scratch available from Countryside Organics, which is the same company I get the layer feed from. In the past, Resolution suggested to me that Countryside Organics had great feeds, and they do. Just look at the ingredients.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Jim

I know quite a bit about feed manufacturing in the USA. Brazil exports an enormous amount of soy bean meal to the USA for use in livestock feed and pet food. Regardless, it's GM Soy from anywhere that it might be sent from.

The Free Market - Soy is cheaper to produce in South America and some of the major feed manufacturers with their own brands- that also produce livestock products made the switch to Brazilian soy in the mid 90's. The demand for soy far exceeds what is produced here. It may not constitute all the soy used but as a commodity, one can never guarantee where it came from.

Cargill

Cargill Poultry Feeds

Let me reiterate that, in my opinion, feeding the globe's burgeoning population trumps some of flag waving alarmist trends including my own aversion to round up ready soy.
Soy is used for lots of things beside nutrition. It's a critical part of the global economy. For major producers of poultry products, there is nothing more economic or appropriate for providing nutrition for their livestock. Nevertheless, the backyard hobbyist and small family farmer are not in that market regiment. They can and do afford to do better for their flocks. Scratch Grain is one way that people can feed their birds without using soy or any imported cereal crops. Finding the appropriate supplements to ameliorate nutrition provided by scratch grain is the next issue. Many people are growing their own crops to feed their poultry and I hope that local farmers will begin to produce milk to make poultry sustenance cheeses. It is also my hope that local meat producers will work harder to provide the sort of meat bi products that were available just a few decades ago- before family operations were largely run out of business by major corporations- but this is not a polemic against anyone but rather in support of--to encourage- the backyard hobbyist and small family farmer to think a bit harder on what they are putting into their birds.

Many people have given up processed food-because of health issues. Yes those foods provide lots of nutrients- much of it added in the form of enriched flour or vitamins or what have you -all to meet specific guidelines- and a huge percentage of Americans subsist almost entirely on processed foods- good for them. I've had plenty of boxed or frozen instant dinners- I can't cook to save my life.- But- I know it's better for me and my family to eat closer to home- from local farms and local gardens- cooperatives and of course our own harvests including gardening, farming, fishing and hunting- getting people to feed their livestock in that same mindset is proving to be a bit of a challenge.
But people are catching on. I think if there was a data ratings thread we'd learn a surprising number of people mix their own feed from scratch- no pun intended.
And I think if we revisited that topic three or four times a year we'd see this is a growing trend. I know for a fact that there are suburban cottage industries springing up all around the nation where house wives are ameliorating their family incomes by mixing feeds for their own customer bases.
They take all the guessing out of mixing feed as they do it for the small family farmer and backyard hobbyist.

Regardless, using a high quality processed soft-feed is efficient and convenient. There are alternatives that replace the soft feed altogether but I think most people combine the soft feed with scratch grain and that some folks are increasing the nutritional quality of their scratch grain by increasing specific ingredients or adding ingredients used for wild birds or pets or what have you.

Getting back to the nutritional quality of the grains and seeds- and to the management of the flock- I'll be returning to earlier posts within this thread as time permits.

Thank you Resolution. I always learn a lot from reading your posts!

Quote:

Cargill

Cargill Poultry Feeds

Getting back to the nutritional quality of the grains and seeds- and to the management of the flock- I'll be returning to earlier posts within this thread as time permits.

Thank you Resolution. I always learn a lot from reading your posts!

So what hes saying is that even in Countryside Organics there is potential for Chinese products?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom