Screaming Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LotteMay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. LotteMay

LotteMay In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2019
    HELP!!!!

I have 6 chickens and 1 screams very loud. The screaming can start from 5am. I never let them out at that time as it's still dark. So I give them their breakfast, 20 mins later it starts again. It's driving me crazy, and I don't know what to do!!!

KLIL likes this.
  2. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    Following
    I have a screamer too.

SongBaby33 likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I provide feed and water 24/7..Can you darken the Coop more?

21hens-incharge, KLIL and Ribh like this.
  4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Can you try keeping food and water available?

What breed is the screamer?
    How many birds in the coop?
    How big is the coop?

staceyj, KLIL, Miss Lydia and 2 others like this.
  5. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :popHm.
    So she stops screaming after you drag yourself out of bed, come out, in the darkness, and feed her at 5 AM?

How long is she quiet for after that?

6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Hi there! Pictures are great (not too necessary, I just love pics :pop).
    She may be screaming the egg song. Or just singing (as my mom would say). My hens do it in the evenings. Not too uncommon. :)

7. Suzi18

Suzi18 Crossing the Road

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    Not sure what you mean by screaming but chickens can be very noisy. I had one that we referred to as " mouthy" . She just loved to carry on and on and on. My chickens always have food and water available so that wasn't her problem but might be what yours is carrying on about. Or......maybe she is just "mouthy". Good luck

8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Another thing that occurs to me.....

Chickens see ultra violet light. That means they see the sun coming up WAY before we can.

Edited because autocorrect hates me.

9. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    More info would be helpful. Number and age of chickens. Breeds. Size of coop/run in general. Any males or all female flock? Where are you located generally?

Others in your climate might have insight or others that own your same breeds may have same issue. Overcrowding can cause certain behaviors as can a dominant female (no male present).

Some chickens are noisy. And chickens love routine, so if this has been going on for awhile, you may need to retrain the screamer out of the early morning scream session. Like using a covered dog cage at night in the coop to make it dark for her till you let them out for the day, or some other idea that would stop the current 5am screaming.

Good luck.

DobieLover and 21hens-incharge like this.
  10. LotteMay

LotteMay In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2019
    Their coop/cage is a good size, big enough for 6 chickens. If you look at my profile picture, you can see the breads. They're all girls, 1 gets picked on, so we've bought spray and they've stayed away so far. My garden is fairly big, and they get let out and spend the day roaming round the garden. We do however have a cat shed which is pretty small, all 6 decided to go in and make themselves at home... They always have access to food and water, and like to hang at my back door as they know the cat food is inside.

Acre4Me likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: