1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SD card slot on computer wont work

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rammy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    I use my sd card slot on my computer to view the game cam cards to look at my pictures. For the past couple weeks, it wont let me view them. I can only look at them by downloading them then going to the pictures file and clicking on them. I used to be able to just put it in the slot and look at them. I get an error message now when I try to do that. Is there any way to fix it?

Rammy

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    What is the error? Can you clean out the slot that it goes in? Or, I'd try a system restore, and restore the computer to a time when it worked.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have a USB card reader, it has slots for 4 kinds of cards but I only use the SD and micro SD slots myself. Anyways, it was about $30 IIRC, Scandisk brand.
    If the on board one is permanently "out" you can always get a USB one.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't know if this relates in any way to your problem, but my computer won't read my CF camera card twice in a row, even hours apart, until I restart my computer. Once I restart it, it will read the CF card fine. I don't know why that is, I've just gotten used to it. [​IMG]

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have been having trouble with my memory card being read by my computer too. I keep unplugging it and pushing it back in and closing and reopening my computer page till it finally works. I have no idea why it is doing it either but someday I am gonna have my computer looked at and that is on the top of the list to be addressed.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:if it's just one card, it could be the card. I had a card "go bad" not sure what happened to it. The computer couldn't read it and neither could my camera, so I tossed it.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can you reinstall the drivers for that card reader? That's probably what I would do. Makes sure you restart the computer first, then figure out if you can reinstall/update the driver.

Have you changed or updated you virus software recently? My camera had been working fine when it came to uploading photos for the longest time. When I switched to a new virus protection company, I started having problems. My computer kept saying there was an error when I was trying to load my pics. I had to turn off the virus protection while loading, then remember to turn it back on afterwards. I finally switched to Avast! and haven't had any problems uploading pictures since.

8. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:if it's just one card, it could be the card. I had a card "go bad" not sure what happened to it. The computer couldn't read it and neither could my camera, so I tossed it.

I have no problems with it in my camera. I usually just use the one card. We bought 2 new cards at xmas time and my husband does not understand why we dont use them so that will make him happy too. That way I can see if it still does it with a new card too.

9. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  10. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Sorry I was no help, same problem here. I need my computer looked at for lots of reasons though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by