SD card slot on computer wont work

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I use my sd card slot on my computer to view the game cam cards to look at my pictures. For the past couple weeks, it wont let me view them. I can only look at them by downloading them then going to the pictures file and clicking on them. I used to be able to just put it in the slot and look at them. I get an error message now when I try to do that. Is there any way to fix it?

Rammy

What is the error? Can you clean out the slot that it goes in? Or, I'd try a system restore, and restore the computer to a time when it worked.

I have a USB card reader, it has slots for 4 kinds of cards but I only use the SD and micro SD slots myself. Anyways, it was about $30 IIRC, Scandisk brand.
If the on board one is permanently "out" you can always get a USB one.

I don't know if this relates in any way to your problem, but my computer won't read my CF camera card twice in a row, even hours apart, until I restart my computer. Once I restart it, it will read the CF card fine. I don't know why that is, I've just gotten used to it.
idunno.gif

I have been having trouble with my memory card being read by my computer too. I keep unplugging it and pushing it back in and closing and reopening my computer page till it finally works. I have no idea why it is doing it either but someday I am gonna have my computer looked at and that is on the top of the list to be addressed.

Quote:
if it's just one card, it could be the card. I had a card "go bad" not sure what happened to it. The computer couldn't read it and neither could my camera, so I tossed it.

Can you reinstall the drivers for that card reader? That's probably what I would do. Makes sure you restart the computer first, then figure out if you can reinstall/update the driver.

Have you changed or updated you virus software recently? My camera had been working fine when it came to uploading photos for the longest time. When I switched to a new virus protection company, I started having problems. My computer kept saying there was an error when I was trying to load my pics. I had to turn off the virus protection while loading, then remember to turn it back on afterwards. I finally switched to Avast! and haven't had any problems uploading pictures since.

Quote:
if it's just one card, it could be the card. I had a card "go bad" not sure what happened to it. The computer couldn't read it and neither could my camera, so I tossed it.

I have no problems with it in my camera. I usually just use the one card. We bought 2 new cards at xmas time and my husband does not understand why we dont use them so that will make him happy too. That way I can see if it still does it with a new card too.

Sorry I was no help, same problem here. I need my computer looked at for lots of reasons though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom