Sealed winter run + dust = health concerns

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
We just finished sealing our run for the winter. It's a 9x21 enclosure, and I left ventilation around the upper 6-8 inches, as well as a 3'x6' cutout in the main hangout and the entry door (also 3'x6').

I'm becoming concerned about the amount of dust. We have a 6" pine mulch/hemp mix on the ground, and pick up droppings several times a day. There's only 3 chickens in there. But it is a literal dust bowl. If someone jumps down from a roost, it looks like they landed in cocoa powder.

How does everyone else deal with this? Should I be wearing a mask? Reducing time in there (😢)? Try to pivot from the mulch? I know sand is just as dusty. Love my girls, but I'd rather not shave years off my life for them.

I really appreciate any help or advice.

If you have to wear a mask in there, then I'd be concerned about the chickens without masks having to breath that air. What is the dust from? Dirt? Hemp? Something else?

I'd think about a much larger opening for ventilation. The prevailing winds likely only come in from one or two sides. I open up an entire side in the run which lets in plenty of air and likely would significantly reduce dust build-up without direct drafts and greatly reduced snow/rain.

If you have to wear a mask in there, then I'd be concerned about the chickens without masks having to breath that air. What is the dust from? Dirt? Hemp? Something else?

I'd think about a much larger opening for ventilation. The prevailing winds likely only come in from one or two sides. I open up an entire side in the run which lets in plenty of air and likely would significantly reduce dust build-up without direct drafts and greatly reduced snow/rain.
My thoughts exactly. It's not healthy for anyone. Thankfully, I saved the info on prevailing winds in the area, so I have a nice 12 foot section I can rip off to get some airflow. Of course we had frigid wind blowing in from that direction the other day... can't win, right?

I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what's contributing to the dust. I've never known mulch or hemp to be dusty, but I've also never mulched under a roofed area with chickens in it. We do have a peat moss dust bath. Might scrap that for the time being.

My thoughts exactly. It's not healthy for anyone. Thankfully, I saved the info on prevailing winds in the area, so I have a nice 12 foot section I can rip off to get some airflow. Of course we had frigid wind blowing in from that direction the other day... can't win, right?
I think we are on the same page, but just want to make sure. I wasn't 100% clear in my initial post. Be sure to take off the siding on a side opposite from the prevailing winds.

Do you think this will problematic in the winter? I've done it a handful of times over the summer, but have been nervous since the temps plummeted.
Well, I'd do it when the birds were in the coop so they don't get soaked.
My birds wander in the frozen winter run with no real consequence,
except when they nosh on the snow banks and get their little wattles nipped.

Back
Top Bottom