Seamless Bands?

From Section 21.13 - Permit Exceptions for Captive-Reared Mallard Ducks, Part B:

(b) All mallard ducks possessed in captivity, without a permit,
shall have been physically marked by at least one of the following
methods prior to 6 weeks of age and all such ducks hatched, reared, and
retained in captivity thereafter shall be so marked prior to reaching 6
weeks of age.
(1) Removal of the hind toe from the right foot.
(2) Pinioning of a wing: Provided, That this method shall be the
removal of the metacarpal bones of one wing or a portion of the
metacarpal bones which renders the bird permanently incapable of flight.
(3) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless metal band.
(4) Tattooing of a readily discernible number or letter or
combination thereof on the web of one foot.

It states in the General Provision of the Waterfowl Sale and Disposal Permit that:

(2) All live migratory waterfowl possessed in captivity under
authority of a valid waterfowl sale and disposal permit shall have been,
prior to 6 weeks of age, physically marked as defined in Sec. 21.13(b).

I know this is an older thread but I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can help fill me in.

I've seen a LOT of mallards being sold in the stores like any other duck. Heck I'm seeing them even more on CL. When I pick up the ducklings in the store their toes are all still there, they aren't banded and they aren't tattooed. The stores are selling them just like they would sell any other duck or chicken (no paperwork). So is it the responsibility of the breeder/hatchery or the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they are marked properly? I could easily see someone buying a "cute little duckling" and having no clue about the regulations.

I know this is an older thread but I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can help fill me in.

I've seen a LOT of mallards being sold in the stores like any other duck. Heck I'm seeing them even more on CL. When I pick up the ducklings in the store their toes are all still there, they aren't banded and they aren't tattooed. The stores are selling them just like they would sell any other duck or chicken (no paperwork). So is it the responsibility of the breeder/hatchery or the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they are marked properly? I could easily see someone buying a "cute little duckling" and having no clue about the regulations.
Id like an answer to this comment too!

Id like an answer to this comment too!
If they are under 6 weeks old I would guess that it is the buyers responsibility.

If they are older birds I would not buy them.
Most of the Mallard ducklings that I have seen out here in feed stores have the right hind toe removed.
I did visit one large gamebird hatchery that was removing the left toe.

I buy my seemless metal legbands from L&M Bird Leg Bands Inc. They are in San Bernardino California.

Back
Top Bottom