searching for a rooster

delfargo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
some corn field in central il.
i'm getting ready to order my chicks soon. my hen search is narrowing down, but i'm having a hard time finding much info to help me decide what roo to get. i was wanting to know what breeds of roosters are less aggessive and which ones are a little too aggressive. any thoughts? thanx alot.

Some breeds I've heard tend to have more docile roosters. (of course, there's always the exception to the rule)

Orpingtons
Brahmas
Australorps
Welsummers
Marans

Buff Orpingtons
Cochins
Easter Eggers
Jersey Giants

Australorps
Any kind of Rock, such as: Barred Rock, Partridge Rocks etc.
smile.png

My most aggressive rooster ever was a Jersey Giant. Mean sucker.....

Had a sort of nasty RIR. Had another relatively decent RIR but he was too rough on the hens.
My LF Cochin roosters are nice as can be. Bantam Cochins are temperamental little guys, but hilarious.
Had a Blue Andalusian who was not very nice, but not horrible.
Have a Barred Rock who is nice so far. Little rough on the ladies, but he is young and still learning.

Love our cochin roosters, and our wyandottes are affectionate too, but I have also found that how you raise them makes a big difference too! If you can, bring your baby roo into the house with some other babies, and raise them inside with you, makes all the difference in the world!! They can move out when they are older, but by being in with you, they become very focused on you, and very affectionate! Works everytime for us!

Good Luck!

I have 2 RIR 1 they are twin brothers, 1 is mean 1 is nice. I have a Barred Rock or Plymouth Rock he is shy and sweet but young.

thanx for the info.
yes, i was going to get several different breeds (i'm not breeding them, just raising them for eggs and fun) is that a problem?
i was thinking welsummer just cuz they look so cool. any welsummer roo comments? can they handle a cold winter well? i know they can handle a summer well. (get it??? welsummer, summer well? oh god...too much coffee this morning) thanx alot you guys, i'm really looking forward to getting my order in.

Last edited:
Mine is not hatchery stock, but my welsummer rooster, Moose is a good boy. He's a great protector of my hens, finds treats for them, stops the hens if they get into a scuffle. He's still young (8 months), but so far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom