Sears and Kmart closings

DH and I were just talking about this. He's a mechanic by trade and should own stock in Craftsman
roll.png
The Sears up here by us is only a couple years old and not too bad. The Kmart on the other hand is old and not kept up. The one in Arvada where we lived before was good, redone and all. They just needed to have more lines open to get customers through. But our questions were, who will sale Craftsman now since that's a huge part of his job.
hu.gif

Someone mentioned Kresges. When I was a kid there was a 5 & dime store on the corner in Plymouth, Michigan. My mother and our neighbor grocery shopped together and would stop in at the counter for pie and coffee. This store had the most delicious homemade food. I think it was a Kresge, if my memory is right. There was actually homemade comfort food and the pie was out of this world. I love a good meatloaf and that was the type of food there, as well as mac/cheese.

My mother believed in discipline. My younger sister liked to touch things in that store. Mom would give her instructions before they ever left home, "you touch anything and I will pull your hair!" Actually it was a tug but got the point across. I've always liked those kind of stores. I believe Sam Walton's early store was a 5 & 10.

What galls me about this, IS that the media and the government keep saying things are improving. Many folks spent money at Christmastime believing this. I don't.

I believe that while the amount of money spent this year was more, it's due to the high cost of food and necessities. People spent more but got less.

Just my OP,

Rancher

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or go without.

I'm reconsidering the heated waterers, which will cost more money to buy and use. I can just carry heated water to the coop each morning and bring the waterers back in at night. I will save money in the long run. If it didn't get below freezing for days. I wouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
Completely agree Rancher! We keep hearing that yes things are looking up but then next sentence "So and So business is planning on closing all their stores by 2012" or whatever. Yes it's good for some I'm sure but for the rest it's just as bad or getting worse. Scary for sure.

Quote:
I do this - have three waterers. Two inside at all times and then I just rotate them out with the frozen one. I did get the ducks their own bowl and have to just dump the ice out of it (it's one of those black rubbery 3 gallon bowls) and then refill real quick.

Thankfully we have had an unusally mild winter (high of 53 today!) I have even refilled the ducks big pool as a gift to them.
big_smile.png

I also agree it is the cost of things going up that make it look like we are buying more when we are actually buying less.

I agree, rancher hicks. There's a lot of cheerleading out there but I choose to believe Jimmy Rogers, financial analyst. Just today it was announced that Morgan Stanley is laying off 580 in NYC. Every day it seems a company is downsizing.

The new unemployment claims were announced today at 381,000. TV anchors get excited that it is ONLY 381,000, under 400,000. Figure that number for 24 weeks and figure in that these people have several family members to support. That means it affects millions. Crazy how that can sound positive. Truly sad for the unemployed.

Save your money, folks, and live as if we are in a depression. No doubt, the government will be printing money in this coming election years. If the economy does bounce back, you'll have a nest egg. If not, you'll still be way ahead of a lot of folks.

Realistically, I think alot of us just spend more on less stuff or buy cheaply but not as much. I don't believe much on the media thinking we are improving. Where is it improving if Sears, Kmart and some of the mom and pop operation going out?

As for the unemployed, how many actually RAN out, quit looking for work, many of them stay at home doing their own business or role reseversal of men doing the stay at home daddy job?

We have a job-killing president so is what is happening any surprise? The Keystone pipeline would create alot of high wage jobs for example. No consumer confidence.

Back
Top Bottom