Sebastopol geese - selecting breeding stock, color genetics, and color improvement

This is my first season breeding Sebs. I bought a pair from Pips and Peeps last Summer and a pair from Dave Holderread a couple weeks ago. I am so excited! If I post pictures, can I get opinions that are helpful? My Pips and Peeps pair are full curly and white. My Holderread pair are both gray saddlebacks. They aren't curly though. I love the looks of all the colors, personally.

By the way, Jean is awesome to talk to in person as is Dave and Millie.

I thought Dave Holderread sold out his Sebastopols???

They still have some but don't advertise them as actively for sale. I had to wait about a year till I was finally offered a pair. Actually I had given up and in January I was told by Wanita that he was selling a few pairs. I picked them up about two weeks ago along with some Golden Cascades.

I am looking at a house in Tennessee but moving from Washington state with birds has me intimidated. Looks beautiful.

Beautiful state! Congratulations!
big_smile.png

I finally got my first Sebastopol geese today and I love them already. Is it possible to tell color by their down? The light one has blue eyes and a tawny color that's very light on its back. I'm having a hard time telling what color the darker ones eyes are.
They came from a mixed color flock.

I finally got my first Sebastopol geese today and I love them already. Is it possible to tell color by their down? The light one has blue eyes and a tawny color that's very light on its back. I'm having a hard time telling what color the darker ones eyes are. They came from a mixed color flock.
I'm assuming that one will be a pied/splash colored goose

That depends on what you are breeding for.  For show - no.

Thank you for your honest reply. I did want to show her and breed her for show. She was sold to me as such. Would you mind telling me what is wrong with her and what I should be looking for? I read the breed standard but I must be missing something.

I want to show and breed quality birds. Unfortunately, I'm finding it very difficult to get started with this endeavor.

Thank you for your honest reply. I did want to show her and breed her for show. She was sold to me as such. Would you mind telling me what is wrong with her and what I should be looking for? I read the breed standard but I must be missing something.

I want to show and breed quality birds. Unfortunately, I'm finding it very difficult to get started with this endeavor.

If you are more of a visual person you can go back through this thread and look at the photos. There are some better examples of the breed by different posters.

Below are a few of my juveniles from this year. They won't all be breeders or show birds, but is an example of better feather.

Back
Top Bottom