Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone here use x-cel duck&goose feed? if so how well do you like it? does it seem to keep your sebastopols happy and healthy. I would like to use mazuri feeds but I dont think I can afford $41 for 50lbs of feed.
$41??? Holy crap! I mix my own and it comes to $12.50 for 50 pounds.

Have not heard of x-cel.

Last edited:
Mazuri only runs us $36 a bag, well worth the price too with how well all of the geese look.

This is my current shadow in the rear when doing chores, poor thing does understand why we wont open the pool door.

I just can't see it being 3 times better than what I make up. I have never had any issues with feather quality, fertility, angel wing or any of that. No wonder they don't sell it here- nobody would buy it.

ETA- I think you're giving the feed too much credit. Your birds look good because you take all-around good care of them, not because of some high-end brand name on the bag.

Last edited:
over all care makes a huge difference, but we have brought in birds who didnt have good feathering and within a month on Mazuri they were molting and over all condition was a 9. I also think the fact we have year round grazing makes a difference too. Mazuri isnt available everywhere, its a zoological feed, so most feed stores dont carry it, and feed mills deffinetly dont. We buy the wolf food too for our Pyr male since he has a hard time keep weight on in the summer

Thanks for the compliment Amy.

Took some pictures of three of our pastel sebbies this morning.

They are:

Buff (left) Lilac (middle) and a Mystery color (right)

the mystery color has been guessed lavender or cream. Test matings will happen to see what color goslings we get.

Been at the er all night with my mom will try to get that video on here soon, want to make sure those wings don't need help.
Wish they had more comfy chairs in here :rolleyes:

I just can't see it being 3 times better than what I make up. I have never had any issues with feather quality, fertility, angel wing or any of that. No wonder they don't sell it here- nobody would buy it.

ETA- I think you're giving the feed too much credit. Your birds look good because you take all-around good care of them, not because of some high-end brand name on the bag.

I have to agree with Amy -- I think the same good results would be achieved although might take a bit more time. Canadian Geese are beautiful on just grass and landscaping from the neighborhoods where they have taken over. Poor quality feathers are from dirty pens and little to no greens. Holderread said it best "geese grow on grass".

I did buy a bag of mazuri for a little crossbeak guy I hatched. He can't pull grass like the regular guys, and I'd like to give him the extra vitamins while he is in this critical development stage. I do think they make an excellent product, but the cost can't be justified if they have pasture and normal development (IMHO).

ONto a new problem....the orchids have red spider mites this morning. Ah....simple life ain't so simple
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom