Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Baytril is Enrofloxacin and is in the same drug family as CIPROfloxacin.  It is Ofloxacin for human use.  It is a good antibiotic, but my issue with using Baytril as opposed to some of our good old stand by antibiotics, is that when you need those old standbys down the road, they are not going to be effective after first going in with the big guns.  One of the reasons we have MRSA and VRSA problems in our human environment.  That and the over prescribing of antibiotics.  Always give probiotic when giving an antibiotic also.  There can be some nasty side effects associated with Enrofloxacin also.  Best advice is to just be careful.  It is advisable to own a professional Veterinary formulary.  They run about $80.00.  Plumb's is recommended.  I keep Baytril on hand myself, but rarely use it.

Yes, true. I got the Baytril a year ago as a last ditch effort and haven't used it since. It is the most recommended for some illnesses. A lot of the broad spectrum aren't effective anymore.

I don't know that it is necessary true that using Baytril makes other antibiotics ineffective. I have been treated for MRSA with the "big gun" antibiotics, but the other older drugs still work on my "regular" run-of-the-mill type infections. The antibiotic the doctor chooses just depends on what type of bacteria it is.

Antibiotic resistant bacteria can develop from using any antibiotic improperly. That's why it's so important to use them sparingly and always finish the course even if it seems like the infection is gone. IMO it's best not to use them unless you really think there is no other alternative. In an ideal world you would go to the vet and run tests, but that's not always realistic.

Yes, true. I got the Baytril a year ago as a last ditch effort and haven't used it since. It is the most recommended for some illnesses. A lot of the broad spectrum aren't effective anymore.

I don't know that it is necessary true that using Baytril makes other antibiotics ineffective. I have been treated for MRSA with the "big gun" antibiotics, but the other older drugs still work on my "regular" run-of-the-mill type infections. The antibiotic the doctor chooses just depends on what type of bacteria it is.

Antibiotic resistant bacteria can develop from using any antibiotic improperly. That's why it's so important to use them sparingly and always finish the course even if it seems like the infection is gone. IMO it's best not to use them unless you really think there is no other alternative. In an ideal world you would go to the vet and run tests, but that's not always realistic.
True, That is why I own a microscope. But you are also correct on the proper use of antibiotics and finishing the round. Not finishing a round can also cause superinfection. There was a paper written where they were finding that older antibiotics were not working when first using the more harsh ones. Unfortunately, many docs don't do the cultures or the micro to find out what the source is, whether it is bacterial or fungal, and just write a scrip. That is probably where some of the problems started. The FDA had a fit over the usage of Baytril and changed some parameters. It is lengthy, would have to go back and read it. I have it and many other meds on hand, as I said, I don't have to use them very often. That in itself is a good thing. You had docs that actually tested to find out that you, in fact, had MRSA. You would be astounded the great many that just guess and write a scrip for whatever. That is what gets me. We had a case like that here. The doc is no longer a doc, as the patient died.

True, That is why I own a microscope. But you are also correct on the proper use of antibiotics and finishing the round. Not finishing a round can also cause superinfection. There was a paper written where they were finding that older antibiotics were not working when first using the more harsh ones. Unfortunately, many docs don't do the cultures or the micro to find out what the source is, whether it is bacterial or fungal, and just write a scrip. That is probably where some of the problems started. The FDA had a fit over the usage of Baytril and changed some parameters. It is lengthy, would have to go back and read it. I have it and many other meds on hand, as I said, I don't have to use them very often. That in itself is a good thing. You had docs that actually tested to find out that you, in fact, had MRSA. You would be astounded the great many that just guess and write a scrip for whatever. That is what gets me. We had a case like that here. The doc is no longer a doc, as the patient died.
I probably should have emphasized the overuse of the big guns for something another known antibiotic would have been sufficient to use will render the older ones ineffective for what they once could heal. Does that make better sense? There are a lot of maladies that are actually fungal in nature, but are treated with antibiotics, and more antibiotics with no success and more problems, when using an antifungal in the first place would have wiped it out in the first place. There is something to this with cancers. They will thrive in an acidic state but cannot survive in a more alkalotic environment due to some related fungal qualities associated with it. This is true in both animal and plant life. I have noticed that Eastern taught doctors are much more educated on this where our Western taught doctors are not so much so. Doctors of Osteopathy are better trained in this knowledge also, as opposed to MD's. Where this applies to the veterinary world, I cannot say. I haven't read up on that at present.

How do you pronounce the name? Love my new baby and may never get another chicken or duck again.
wink.png
What a different personality they have.

Back
Top Bottom