Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Tried to make it look like Ginger was blowing Heart from her beak and got it!
big_smile.png
I have 7 eggs in our R-com. Just turned on the turning device.

I can fit maybe two more in but would have to hand turn them then. 7 Will do for right now. The girls are out their getting busy and I have eggs in 5 nests now. I will take the old messy ones out to make them keep laying just in case they do not work out in the incubator.....

Well...... I got my first goose eggs today!
smile.png
I found them both in the same nest in the old goose coop. One looks to be shorter and more round while the other is taller and not as fat, so I am thinking they might be from two different geese.

Egg #1

Egg#2

Well me and the kids got all the pens moved and fenced how I wanted them. I moved a pen over, extended a chicken pen that is next to it. Then moved the dividing fence between the new pen and the existing goose run, so they now have more room and the new part has grass. Bonus! They were pretty happy about that yesterday. We also moved the cyclone dog kennel, closed the duck run that was up against it and then made a new run around it for more geese. The cyclone dog kennel will be there coop. So now I have 5 goose pens. YAY!
And......the new goose and gander arrived from Celtic this am! They are beautiful! There is a gray smooth gander and a lilac smooth goose! Will take pics of them when it gets light out.
What a great Valentine's gift!
love.gif

In my experience, the longer skinnier ones are new layers where the fatter ones are older geese. Do you have a yearling and an older goose together? Congrats on the eggs!
smile.png
I found them both in the same nest in the old goose coop. One looks to be shorter and more round while the other is taller and not as fat, so I am thinking they might be from two different geese.

Tried to make it look like Ginger was blowing Heart from her beak and got it!
big_smile.png
I have 7 eggs in our R-com. Just turned on the turning device.

I can fit maybe two more in but would have to hand turn them then. 7 Will do for right now. The girls are out their getting busy and I have eggs in 5 nests now. I will take the old messy ones out to make them keep laying just in case they do not work out in the incubator.....
Do you usually let your girls go broody if they want?
smile.png

Egg #1

Egg#2

Congratulations!! How many grams did the eggs weigh? The biggest egg I've gotten so far was 176 grams, and the smallest 124 grams.
Love it!!! <3

Daze- I like the set up. Mine is pretty similar, but kind of set up along a road. Like a little neighborhood where all men that hate each other- lol. I will try to get pics.

Congrats on the eggs, Poultry!
Looking forward to pictures...
Well me and the kids got all the pens moved and fenced how I wanted them. I moved a pen over, extended a chicken pen that is next to it. Then moved the dividing fence between the new pen and the existing goose run, so they now have more room and the new part has grass. Bonus! They were pretty happy about that yesterday. We also moved the cyclone dog kennel, closed the duck run that was up against it and then made a new run around it for more geese. The cyclone dog kennel will be there coop. So now I have 5 goose pens. YAY!
And......the new goose and gander arrived from Celtic this am! They are beautiful! There is a gray smooth gander and a lilac smooth goose! Will take pics of them when it gets light out.
What a great Valentine's gift!
love.gif
Jealous..Shellie's birds are sooo gorgeous, aren't they. You'd better post some pictures of them soon!!

~ Aspen

HERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
love.gif
droolin.gif
They have been in a huge kennel for the last few hours and were taking baths in the 2 qt water buckets, if you can believe it. So they are a little wet and not as curly as when they came out of the box. But still beauties!

I have 2 goose eggs in the incubator and have 4 more waiting to go in!
ya.gif

I normally collect chicken eggs for 7 days and put them in the bator each Sunday. That way each weekend some are hatching. How long do you guys hold your goose eggs before putting in the bator? I am thinking about maybe putting them in twice a week so they are nice and fresh. Also, if you mark the eggs from which pen they came from so you can track what colors and quality come from which pairings, then how do you keep the goslings straight when they all hatch at once?

On our sebbies when they first start laying I dispose and crack then to see if fertile or not. I try and collect the eggs when it starts getting a bit warmer outside. Other than that I dispose of them. I can not eat duck eggs, I tried them and got sicko n them everytime I tried them.
sickbyc.gif
My husband he got sick as well he has a touch stomach though. I do not know if I can eat goose eggs????

I will only let my girls go broody when the weather is warmer. So have to keep collecting them until I want them going broody.

On our sebbies when they first start laying I dispose and crack then to see if fertile or not. I try and collect the eggs when it starts getting a bit warmer outside. Other than that I dispose of them. I can not eat duck eggs, I tried them and got sicko n them everytime I tried them.
sickbyc.gif
My husband he got sick as well he has a touch stomach though. I do not know if I can eat goose eggs????

I will only let my girls go broody when the weather is warmer. So have to keep collecting them until I want them going broody.
I have never even tasted a goose egg, because I have always and plan to hatch them all!
I think I need to build another bator now that we have 18 geese!
We eat duck eggs all the time and have no problem. I think some people are sensative to them. I also have egg customers that are allergic to chicken eggs and can only eat duck. My friend tests her very allergic kids with new foods by crushing it up and putting some on the pad of a bandaid and putting it on the inside of their elbow (a sensitive place) over night. If they have a red rash in the am, then they are allergic and she does not give to them to eat. Maybe you could try this with your goose eggs so they don't go to waste? Or you could sell them!! What colors do you have?

Back
Top Bottom