Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Agreed!
And check their feet- I bought a trio of ganders from somebody that kept them in a muddy dog run and two of them had bumblefoot. It was a good month of intensive treatments, but they made it ok fortunately.
Nice orange bills and feet (when not setting), are a good way to be sure they aren't really deficient. The ones in the pic look good to me.
I love the way waterfowl are so hearty. Never had any problems with diseases, just predators.
Can I ask how you all treat bumble foot? And how you house them during treatment?

Hi Daze here is how I have learned to start treating bumble foot. First get your goose with it get a nice pan of warm water with either Epsom salt or Novasan disinfectant which vets use. Put the goose in to soak for 15 minutes until good and clean. Get the food and look for the scab where whatever has cut the foot and got infected. Take tweezers put in alcohol them for 20 minutes before you even start soaking the foot. Take the tweezers and alcohol or novasan your hands good. Take the tweezers and pull off the scab. Then see if there is any hard pus in there. Put the foot back in the soaking solution and see if it gets easy to take out. If you see nothing just take and put vetericyn spray and spray it well. After that put a triple antibiotic and pack it in there and around the whole sore. Then put your goose in a pen with pine shaving in it.
Repeat this daily until the foot looks better.

You can also use bag balm to pack around the sore on the foot. I do this at bedtime so the goose is laying down and the meds can work.

Good Luck.

Hi Daze here is how I have learned to start treating bumble foot. First get your goose with it get a nice pan of warm water with either Epsom salt or Novasan disinfectant which vets use. Put the goose in to soak for 15 minutes until good and clean. Get the food and look for the scab where whatever has cut the foot and got infected. Take tweezers put in alcohol them for 20 minutes before you even start soaking the foot. Take the tweezers and alcohol or novasan your hands good. Take the tweezers and pull off the scab. Then see if there is any hard pus in there. Put the foot back in the soaking solution and see if it gets easy to take out. If you see nothing just take and put vetericyn spray and spray it well. After that put a triple antibiotic and pack it in there and around the whole sore. Then put your goose in a pen with pine shaving in it.
Repeat this daily until the foot looks better.

You can also use bag balm to pack around the sore on the foot. I do this at bedtime so the goose is laying down and the meds can work.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info. This is what I have done so far:
I have 2 geese with bumble foot. At least I think it is. It is sore black spots on their feet. The goose has it on the pad of her foot, like her palm. The gander had it halfway down his foot on one of his toes. His is bigger than hers. They are both hard and black and bumpy, like scales. They are both sensitive if I prod. So this week I took them and soaked in warm epsom water until feet were clean. Then I put them on their backs, dabbed with betadine, put neosporin on and gauze and vet wrap. I tried taping it to their ankle, lots of different wraps, even tried making booties out of craft foam and duct tape, but they have learned how to get every one of them off!! So frustrating!
I started with them in an x-pen in the garage on old towels. That was so messy! And they were too crowded. So I moved them outside, in 2 x-pens near the other geese. They were happier here, but just paced the fence and pooped everywhere. I have been only doing this for one week, but I am very frustrated! They keep getting the boots/wraps off, it seems faster each time. They have chew marks on them and they really don't like them. It's a little funny, but also frustrating.

So here are some questions for your above instructions;
1) Is the black spot a scab? Because mine don't really look like scabs, more like the scales of their feet, do I pull these off?
2) Do you put some sort of wrap on your feet? Wouldn't the shavings stick to the ointment?
3) I know it must depend on how bad it is, but roughly how long do you have to treat them?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the info. This is what I have done so far:
I have 2 geese with bumble foot. At least I think it is. It is sore black spots on their feet. The goose has it on the pad of her foot, like her palm. The gander had it halfway down his foot on one of his toes. His is bigger than hers. They are both hard and black and bumpy, like scales. They are both sensitive if I prod. So this week I took them and soaked in warm epsom water until feet were clean. Then I put them on their backs, dabbed with betadine, put neosporin on and gauze and vet wrap. I tried taping it to their ankle, lots of different wraps, even tried making booties out of craft foam and duct tape, but they have learned how to get every one of them off!! So frustrating!
I started with them in an x-pen in the garage on old towels. That was so messy! And they were too crowded. So I moved them outside, in 2 x-pens near the other geese. They were happier here, but just paced the fence and pooped everywhere. I have been only doing this for one week, but I am very frustrated! They keep getting the boots/wraps off, it seems faster each time. They have chew marks on them and they really don't like them. It's a little funny, but also frustrating.

So here are some questions for your above instructions;
1) Is the black spot a scab? Because mine don't really look like scabs, more like the scales of their feet, do I pull these off? If they still have the black scab on there you can take that off and look with plastic tweezers to see if you can pull that plug of pus out. But you have to be more careful if you have never done it before do not try it. Just keep treating the foot until you see improvement.
2) Do you put some sort of wrap on your feet? Wouldn't the shavings stick to the ointment?
No I do not put a wrap on because they are Houdini's at getting them off. I just put a big coating of bag balm on the foot and pack it on their before bedtime. I know they can be quite messy with their poop. You can just keep using old bath towels.
3) I know it must depend on how bad it is, but roughly how long do you have to treat them? I have been treating my Spicie a gander for two weeks now. His was a super big one. He had a big scab on it and I pulled it off and then sprayed with vetericyn then stuffed it full of bag balm. I just put him back with his pen mates. It is going down but by no means cleared up yet.
This was a very big swollen one and is hard as a rock in there. I have not probed for that pus core yet. If it heals without having to pull it out fine with me.

Thanks for your help! You are welcome on what little I did tell you.

There should be other who come on that can help you more.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering my questions! And what a relief at not wrapping!!
he.gif

A couple of last questions;
1) I assume it takes longer to treat if you do not get into the infection?
2) Is veteracin the only thing to treat it with afterward? Does Betadine work?
3) And do you do this wash/treat everyday?

We treated 2 geese we bought- they had severe bumble foot. We did the soaking, laid them on a towel on the table (2 person job), used a sterilized box cutter to cut out the plug and squeeze out all the gunk. You have to get that gunk out. It can go very deep. Its waxy and gross, but you can get it. Then spray with iodine, gauze and vet wrap it. Repeat every few days til it looks better. It worked. If you can separate them from the rest of the flock then put them in a good dry pen with a bucket of water with a few drops of oxine in it, in case they decide to groom.

I got most of the info from a thread by "Ruth", and tailored it to our needs.

*get the vet wrap at TSC- its waaaay cheaper there than wally world. I wasted so much money til I found that out.

Last edited:
We treated 2 geese we bought- they had severe bumble foot. We did the soaking, laid them on a towel on the table (2 person job), used a sterilized box cutter to cut out the plug and squeeze out all the gunk. You have to get that gunk out. It can go very deep. Its waxy and gross, but you can get it. Then spray with iodine, gauze and vet wrap it. Repeat every few days til it looks better. It worked. If you can separate them from the rest of the flock then put them in a good dry pen with a bucket of water with a few drops of oxine in it, in case they decide to groom.

I got most of the info from a thread by "Ruth", and tailored it to our needs.

*get the vet wrap at TSC- its waaaay cheaper there than wally world. I wasted so much money til I found that out.
Goose and Fig, thanks for the advice. How did you get the vet wrap to stay on? If I wrapped it tight, their foot folded up and they couldn't walk right, but if I made is looser, then they usually got it off. Do you take all the black stuff off? Or just concentrate on getting out the pus gunk from inside?

Back
Top Bottom