Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

So, any suggestions on how to get the goslings to be friendly? The first day they hatch, they are curious & friendly, after that, they run screaming away fromm me...I was hoping for friendly, I talk to them, try to pet them,but they run into the corner scared to death...
hit.gif

stoop down next to the brooder and offer romaine lettuce and clover and talk to them. You can get them used to being handled, picked up and loved on, but honestly, they aren't puppies. Just chat with them and give treats. They will run across a yard to see you for that. Mine will walk all over me if I'm sitting out with them, but there is
usually too much goose cr@p to sit with them :~)

stoop down next to the brooder and offer romaine lettuce and clover and talk to them. You can get them used to being handled, picked up and loved on, but honestly, they aren't puppies. Just chat with them and give treats. They will run across a yard to see you for that. Mine will walk all over me if I'm sitting out with them, but there is

I realize they aren't dogs. But I thought they wouldn't be so skittish. I do sit next to their tote, talk to them feed them greens, they still run to the corner & cower. I took one outside & sat on the grass with it. It climbed in my lap & seemed calm. Pooped all over me, but I took it. As soon as I picked it up to put back with the others, screaming again. Maybe I'm not patient enough. I don't expect them to jump for joy when they see me, just not be so afraid. Nice pictures

Thanks!

I think they go through different phases too and then sometimes you have different personalities. I know what you mean though. If I'm too fast, they get very scared.

good luck with them!

So I have 7 goslings from 3 to 6 weeks old. I put a young gander in with them, and he ignores them, so that is ok. But how long should I wait until I can put all of them together? It would be so much easier...

Kim yours look nice and that gander from Pips has a great neck and head.
I am at the point where I am more worried about the sharing of the nest that is suddenly going on. I have never separated before and hoped for some tried and true advice. This year is going to be chalked up to 'work' since I have only the one goose who is saddle and she was mated by Saddleback Pom, smooth Seb and curly Seb ganders at some point. It should be easy to tell the splits as they will be white but after that... its all work as I said instead of hatching an sure fire breeders/show birds as I had hoped. None from my reserve champ this year. None. So... if I get a decent goose this year then I will try again next year.

So, any suggestions on how to get the goslings to be friendly? The first day they hatch, they are curious & friendly, after that, they run screaming away fromm me...I was hoping for friendly, I talk to them, try to pet them,but they run into the corner scared to death...
hit.gif
With my 4 new hatchlings, they love to be around me and nibble on me, but really are not crazy being touched. I would sit on the ground and let them wander around me. Last week I realized that one day I got up and walked away and they came flying after me!

hit.gif
How old are they? sounds like you´ll have to move around really slowly and help them to ,earn to trust you. Grabbing them, picking them up, is what a predator would do, so as they´re not imprinted on you and not used to you too much, then you´re best off not grabbing them. You could hold them, perhaps, by sliding your hand under them and lifting, being careful they don´t panic and fall, of course! Geese are far happier being supported underneath. What do you mean about putting all of them together? Who is the young gander in with? Who are separate?

Oh, I´m drooling!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom