Sebastopols. A cash crop?

Gee, I just found out I'm lucky then. I got a trio of what I though were romans last year from a woman and one turned out to be a sebbie. I only paid $10.00 for the three because she needed wanted to get rid of them. She's beautiful with her curly long feathers. Problem is my roman tufted bred her this spring so now I have one mixed gander. Oops! He's a cutie though with the curly long feathers and the tuft on his head.

jojo@rolling acres farm :

Laurie, I wish I lived closer. I would have NO problems buying smooth breasted Sebbies from you. Their Loss = My Gain.

Thanks hun. I even had a woman who came on to BYC looking for Sebbies contact me. She wanted a 100% guarantee that any Sebbies she bought from me would be curly. I told her that no one could give her that guarantee. She told me that yes they could. The she had Sebbies (that predators killed her females) and that every gosling they hatched was curly. Therefore she could guarantee 100% that she would have curly Sebbies.

Well good for her. Needless to say she didn't buy any of my goslings and honestly I wouldn't have sold her any after that kind of an attitude. I love my curly's and my smooths.

Laurie

(edited for spelling error)​

Last edited:
There are top breeders which breed curly on curly without issues, other than the fact that sebbies seem more prone to angelwing than some breeds of geese.

I got some goslings from holderreads this spring. So far, two have the UGLIEST heads, not rounded at all, and two look ok so far. We shall see how they turn out as they grow,..

Quote:
Thanks hun. I even had a woman who came on to BYC looking for Sebbies contact me. She wanted a 100% guarantee that any Sebbies she bought from me would be curly. I told her that no one could give her that guarantee. She told me that yes they could. The she had Sebbies (that predators killed her females) and that every gosling they hatched was curly. Therefore she could guarantee 100% that she would have curly Sebbies.

Well good for her. Needless to say she didn't buy any of my goslings and honestly I wouldn't have sold her any after that kind of an attitude. I love my curly's and my smooths.

Laurie

(edited for spelling error)

There have been some very good ideas here but they have also taken this topic off track. That's alright. It happens all the time. I did want to comment on the idea of no one being able to guarantee 100% curly goslings. You certainly can as long as both parents are curly and one isn't a smooth breasted.

All though there has been some good and valid points the whole point of the post was to ask why Sebastopols seem to be represented with the goose mill mentality way more than other breeds you look at. Its not about the sanctiity of life or the smooth breasted birds as I have some but about people cranking out goslings just for the $$$$ and misrepresenting them that the poor novice shells out the bucks for something that maybe pretty but not useful as far as quality. I did fully expect people to sell what ever they have for what ever you can. I was wondering if anyone breeds for the enjoyment and not ,with it looking from the outside, like the $$$ is the bottom line. Dave Holderread is still one of the best to contact, if you think he is to high think twice especially after looking on the internet.

My Zeena has only half long, thick scapular feathers and paired to a gander from Holderreads (which is smoothed breasted, and he helped me chose) has produced very curly and very cool colors. The problem with buying Sebs is that if you want the fun of raising a gosling or two you have to gamble on sex and amount of feathering. I would think anyone who is selling gosling should have the parents also for viewing, or pics if you buy them by mail.That doesn't guarantee they will come out just like the parents, but you at least have a clue to what you may end up with. Hopefully the sellers are honest. If I had my way I would only sell mine as adults, both to insure the buyer got what they wanted, and because I've sold geese in the past as youngsters, which turned out to be the ones I wish I had kept! It really doesn't take that much effort to research pictures and prices of hatcheries and private breeders. There will always be a few people out there who care nothing for the breed and are just in it for the money. I am not defending them, but I don't think they are that hard to pick out!

Last edited:
I got the bug too. I bought 4 eggs for $40 and only had one hatch. Looks like she is getting angel wing though.
hit.gif
So shes just going to be pet Q

Back
Top Bottom