Sebright cockerel died suddenly - was it shock?

Mackie n chicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Banffshire, Scotland
Logan who was just over a year old had lost his two sister through various ailments this year, I noticed had green diarrea/liquid poo over the last few days and not eaten much. I took him to the vet with a poo sample. The vet gave him two injections (injected into the back of his stomach which I thought was strange). Logan was startled and went quiet. I quickly put him back into his dark box and drove the 20 minutes home (we don't have a nearer vet). I put into a dark box to recover and within 3 minutes had some sort of fit/attack and died. I am mortified! If i'd not taken him to the vet he'd still be talking to me! Was it I assume poor Logan went into shock? I've had much sicker birds make it to the vet and back! I blame myself completely for maybe fussing and sending him to the vet when he wasn't very ill.

Logan who was just over a year old had lost his two sister through various ailments this year, I noticed had green diarrea/liquid poo over the last few days and not eaten much. I took him to the vet with a poo sample. The vet gave him two injections (injected into the back of his stomach which I thought was strange). Logan was startled and went quiet. I quickly put him back into his dark box and drove the 20 minutes home (we don't have a nearer vet). I put into a dark box to recover and within 3 minutes had some sort of fit/attack and died. I am mortified! If i'd not taken him to the vet he'd still be talking to me! Was it I assume poor Logan went into shock? I've had much sicker birds make it to the vet and back! I blame myself completely for maybe fussing and sending him to the vet when he wasn't very ill.

Sorry for your loss, it sounds like your roo died of anaphylactic shock. Unfortunately it happens and there is nothing you or the vet could have done about it. Our friends horse died from AS when having an antibiotic injection.

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/2/319.abstract

Thanks - can they go into shock after 20 mins - he held on, although quietly for the 20 minute journey home and then fitted when we put him into a dark box to remain calm. It was horrible to watch when there's nothing I could do.

Back
Top Bottom