sebright thread

Hi folks! More genetics questions....since I can't seem to find lavender sebrights, I am gonna try to use that as my little project. I am gonna take Golden roo's (Sebrights)over some Self Blue/Lavender OEGB to get the lavender gene in there. All the chicks should be black split to lavender. And from what I can understand, if I cross those back to each other, with both carrying the lavender gene, I should get a lavender lacing on a light cream bird. And....about 50 other possible colors, some laced, several other patterns mixed in. I have found some truly awesome pics of the Lavenders and I want to try to get my own. I would still like to find some eggs or chicks to buy...

@SFICELANDICS let us know if you have anything up for sale. I checked your web page....loads of very nice colors on there. I hope you introduce those to us sometime. I would love to see the blue and the mauve laced Sebrights....those sound truly beautiful.
droolin.gif

@Faverolle Lover Little Jewel is a cutie! Can't wait to see what she grows into. That is about the age of some of my chicks.
jumpy.gif

My favorite lavender laced hen I've ever had.

Unfortunately I no longer have her, her sister or her son. But I do have one of her grand daughters. Plus the lavender I have now, is split to citron. So out of my 2 citron boys that I have, one I think is split to lavender I just don't know which one. So I'm test mating them both. One to a lavender split and one to the lavender. Lavender laced is my favorite. But lavender laced is the hardest color to produce in any chicken. And I have lavender laced in sebrights, brahmas, and Wyandottes.

I have lots of chocolate hens running around here, but unfortunately when doing projects I don't breed from females, so they are just free ranging out with the white Wyandottes.

For 2017 I have lots of colors in the works, including:
Chocolate laced in citron gold and silver.
Lavender laced in citron gold and silver.
Blue laced in citron gold and silver.
Mauve laced in citron gold and silver.
*One that I'm very excited about are my Spangled sebrights! I think they are going to be stunning if they turn out the way I picture them!

I will be offering some Gold Split to Citron eggs and chicks this year.

I can't promise any of the other colors. As I'm breeding the lavenders from 2 pair. And the Chocolate and Blue boys are in with 2 citron females, but only birds that are blue or chocolate from this mating will be saved back for breeding in 2018.

All of my chocolate and blue boys are split to citron.

Once this year is over, all of this years breeding birds, along with any that aren't good enough for next year will be going out to my uncles farm. He has the prettiest sebright flock, and lots of them! But they are my 'culls' - and if I ever need any birds from his flock they are still around but not out in production.

Anyone who is breeding sebrights or wanting to start new colors, out crossing is great! It bumps fertility and hardiness, which this breed has struggled with over the years, I would also even encourage adding 'hatchery stock' every now and then - nothing worse than a bird that can win a show but can't produce many fertile eggs!!!

Check out my website, http://shamrockfarmwi.com - I love tweeking genetics! I specialize in Wyandotte LF and Sebright BF. Updates on colors and pictures will be updated on my Facebook Page: Shamrock Farm, the pic is of BRWyandottes.

Maybe its just me, but I think sebrights should be silver or golden. Period. To get all these designer colors, they are being crossed with other breeds to bring the colors in, correct? How many generations does it breed true, and how many generations is it before they are no longer cross-breeds?

Excuse me if it's an ignorant question, maybe I just don't understand, but I'd like to learn.

Maybe its just me, but I think sebrights should be silver or golden. Period. To get all these designer colors, they are being crossed with other breeds to bring the colors in, correct? How many generations does it breed true, and how many generations is it before they are no longer cross-breeds?

Excuse me if it's an ignorant question, maybe I just don't understand, but I'd like to learn.

That would be a personal thought about only silver or golden. There is also buff laced.

I am also changing colors of Wyandottes. It's great, boots their fertility and hardiness.

All colors breed true.

Lavender, blue and chocolate just change the black lacing to a diluted color.

New colors means that it will generate more interest in the breed, and get more people into them!

-N

That would be a personal thought about only silver or golden. There is also buff laced.

I am also changing colors of Wyandottes. It's great, boots their fertility and hardiness.

All colors breed true.

Lavender, blue and chocolate just change the black lacing to a diluted color.

New colors means that it will generate more interest in the breed, and get more people into them!

-N

Yes, I meant it was my personal taste. Just as I personally don't care for some breeds in the laced patterns, I'm weird that way lol! But thanks, you do make some valid points. And the colors are beautiful! Don't get me wrong. I was just curious if it stayed true or do single combs (and such) crop up from time to time, generations down the road. Admittedly, I know very little of some of the genetic factors.

But thanks for replying! :)

i like them in gold and silver too. the black lacing is what makes them stand out. any others just look like regular chickens. although i think reverse lacing might be cool if it were possible. black laced in white or gold?

Okay so i want to make my own line of lavender how do i do that I have the OEGB and silver's only a good hen id rater rather use silver. So can anyone take me step by step threw it?

To my limited understanding.....I have plans to cross a golden roo over a lavender(self blue) oegb. The chick's will probably be all black but carrying the lavender gene. I plan to pick the best type and comb of these chick's and breed them together. There are loads of possible outcomes, BUT there is a Lavender Laced on a peachy bird that is possible. If they have the right type and comb....those birds will be used for the next generation. That is the plan anyway. Genetics can have a mind of it's own.

SFICELANDICS....I know what you mean about an occasional out cross boosting birds in areas they lack. I use an occasional oegb in my Serama pens. I did it due to the way Serama's don't do cold very well. My Serama type seems to always come thru, but they are more able to deal with cooler Temps. The only drawback so far has been the boys are more ready to fight in a group, where as Serama roo's get along. But last year I had some of the best looking birds I had ever produced off a nice little lemon blue OEGB hen and my miller fleur Serama roo.
1f603.png
I hope they give my lavender project with the Sebrights the same toughness.

My Sebright does not like to be outside the run when there's snow, but she's a lot more cold hardy than I thought. She lives with many giant English Orps. (The extra fluffy ones that can't take the summer heat.) She's been through -25'F every winter & never had any issues. The only thing I must do on those cold nights is put her on the roost between 2 fluffy birds (instead of in the window where she prefers to roost). I'm very glad she has a rose comb.

I think the Sebright is less work than the orps who need to be cooled when temps get into upper 80s.

My Sebright does not like to be outside the run when there's snow, but she's a lot more cold hardy than I thought. She lives with many giant English Orps. (The extra fluffy ones that can't take the summer heat.) She's been through -25'F every winter & never had any issues. The only thing I must do on those cold nights is put her on the roost between 2 fluffy birds (instead of in the window where she prefers to roost). I'm very glad she has a rose comb.

I think the Sebright is less work than the orps who need to be cooled when temps get into upper 80s.
my sebright survies the winter with just a banty roo to keep her. she is tough for a little thing. my poor cochin roo about dies of heat stroke every summer. he loves it when i toss water on him.

Back
Top Bottom