sebright thread

I have one Silver Sebright rooster, two Silver females and two Golden females. They are abosolutely beautiful birds and lay 2-3 eggs a day. The interesting thing that I did not know or expect is some of the sounds they make. The females make a sound, usually in the mornings, that sound exactly like a Peacock. The male will fan out his tail and thump his chest with his wings making a drumming sound.

Are these customary sounds/behaviors for Sebrights?

Is this a sebright?

thank you! Dont know anything about them. Will start doing research.
I think you will enjoy them. I have one Silver rooster, two Silver females and two Golden females. They are about the size of a pigeon and are one of the few "true" Bantams which just means that they exist only as Bantams and that there are no Large Fowl equivalents to them. Also the Sebrights are the only ones where the male and female have identical feathering...the female is just as beautiful as the male (or the male is just as plain as the female if you can consider that marking as plain). My Silvers lay little small pinkish eggs and the Goldens lay equally small white eggs. I have noticed that the females have their own unique "egg song" that sounds very much like a Peacock. The rooster has a comb which the females don't develop. However the hint of comb on the female will become much redder when they mature and start to lay. My rooster will spread his tail open and use his wings to thump his chest making a poping sound and crow. They do crow a lot.

Oh, and very important, they are a very flighty breed so you will want to make sure they have a covered run!!!!!

I think you will enjoy them. I have one Silver rooster, two Silver females and two Golden females. They are about the size of a pigeon and are one of the few "true" Bantams which just means that they exist only as Bantams and that there are no Large Fowl equivalents to them. Also the Sebrights are the only ones where the male and female have identical feathering...the female is just as beautiful as the male (or the male is just as plain as the female if you can consider that marking as plain). My Silvers lay little small pinkish eggs and the Goldens lay equally small white eggs. I have noticed that the females have their own unique "egg song" that sounds very much like a Peacock. The rooster has a comb which the females don't develop. However the hint of comb on the female will become much redder when they mature and start to lay. My rooster will spread his tail open and use his wings to thump his chest making a poping sound and crow. They do crow a lot.

Oh, and very important, they are a very flighty breed so you will want to make sure they have a covered run!!!!!
i have 3. One with large comb, one with small comb and one without a comb. 2 roos and 1 hen?

i have 3. One with large comb, one with small comb and one without a comb. 2 roos and 1 hen?
I would have to see pictures of them all to be sure. Roosters develop a very distinct and noticable comb. Hens will develop a tiny hint of a comb but no where near what the rooster has. You may have a rooster and two hens. That would be a good distribution of genders. If it does prove to be two roosters you may want to either rehome one rooster or get more hens to keep them from fighting over her and over breeding her.

I would have to see pictures of them all to be sure. Roosters develop a very distinct and noticable comb. Hens will develop a tiny hint of a comb but no where near what the rooster has. You may have a rooster and two hens. That would be a good distribution of genders. If it does prove to be two roosters you may want to either rehome one rooster or get more hens to keep them from fighting over her and over breeding her.

Back
Top Bottom