**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Friday's Limerick

In Maine is where SCG sits.
She makes beehives of pieces and bits,
cans jam, and I'm glad,
braves Cessnas for Dad,
and makes sure your straitjacket fits!

This one's better, I really flubbed Thursday's......

clap.gif

Here ya go, I went back and edited it.....

Someone beat me to trukey.

Edited it to "trukey"? What's a trukey?
lau.gif

Thank you. I didn't want to have to be the red pen police again.

droolin.gif
I want one!
lol.png
One of these days I'll figure out how to make them myself.

I think I might have everyone here beat on dressing strangely. I might have to get a pic in a bit.
hide.gif

It's not hard... here's what I used for Dsqard's...
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Strait-Jacket/?ALLSTEPS

And you obviously saw the finished product... didn't use belts:

Quote:
I use the same waterer that I use for chickens

same kind of brooder too

turkeys do best on game bird starter or turkey starter if you can find it (both have higher protein than chick starter)... the game bird starter won't hurt chicks for being on it while in the brooder.. but i wouldnt keep them on it long term (causes them to grow faster and long term can put a strain on their liver)

turkeys can be on regular chick starter.. but they won't get all the nutrition they need so they will grow slower.. and many chick starters lack the niacin that turkeys need.. so if you go with chick starter add some niacin to the water to help avoid leg and joint issues in the poults.

I try not to use medicated feed for any of my birds.. but some times that's all that's available. It won't hurt them.. I just prefer to stay away from medicated feeds.

Awesome! Thanks SCG!

My duck started laying again a few days ago. I won't have many eggs to set until the 14th, but I wanted to try my hand at ducks again. I wish I had some mallard hens for Mal, but he seems pretty content with Ducky for now. Dad plans to get some ducklings from the feed store and I know they'll be mallards.

Also told dad I was doing another hatch and he doesn't mind (that's a shock) and when I brought up turkeys he told me not to get any unless they were Blue Slate. Funny since he knows I can't afford eggs right now.
lol.png
Well played dad, well played.
I have a TON of duck eggs if you "need" some.
wink.png
Just let me know what you have to swap.
big_smile.png

I would gladly send you some of my egs, but I was overrun with chicks so I let one go broody and mixed the others for now. Plus I am not yet NPIP.
I need to lose some birds and then let the testing begin. Did I say loose some birds? ok I need to lose ALOT of birds.

anyone tell me how that testing works with chicks since I have a hatching addiction? Can I only get NPIP eggs once I am NPIP?
You can get eggs anywhere but have to isolate & test once they hatch if they are not NPIP. If you have at least pullorum testing done you should be fine. If the parent flock is at least pullorum tested then you are fine. I need to "loose" about 150-200 birds.
hide.gif
But I'm still looking for geese, turkeys, calls, scovies, runners & maybe more silkies.

Last edited:
Quote:
turkeys can survive it though.. adding cayenne pepper to their feed and water helps a lot.. (like a tablespoon per feeder and also to the water...)

there used to be a thread on here where someone experiemented with the cayenne pepper.. which is where I got that from..
Lol.. I'll have to look it up later.. but when I asked my family about it i was told that yeah.. it does work well against blackhead

th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 4-8-2013

I have joined this crazy Hatch a Long but my Straight Jacket was not ready in time, so I set the eggs early…..

Chiques chicks will set a day or so later….HEChicken set eggs first thing in the morning…..SallySunshine set hers Saturday night and thinks Senile Fathers believe that the color changes the flavor of Ducks….JD4570 will be setting BR eggs later but still plans on setting chickens regardless…Jessshan8 set 8 BR eggs today…Cayuse Ranch will start late too…ThaiDye set Chicken eggs on Turkey set day…Wolftracks set!! ChooksChick set 14 or 15 dozen! Chicken pickin will set 11 BR Turkey eggs!
thumbsup.gif

Wax Myrtle set at 9 and temps were back up quickly….SilkieSensation sets eggs on their side—helps monitor stinky ones…mrshaggie810 will set Duck Eggs tonight! Debs_flock posted pictures of the eggs she set! Hurley set 7 Black Spanish and 1 with CT on it? Tazcat70 set turkey eggs and chicken eggs with Tutor chicken eggs being set next week. Coldupnorth set call duck eggs! Thebirdguy set anaconda, turkeys and guineas! NotAFarm set eggs too! karimw will set hers when Arielle’s package is delivered.
celebrate.gif

SCG does not use the foam in her Brinsea cradle—I can tell from the picture—One can only think that she wore out the foam from all that candling…..

ThaiDye asked about staggered hatching and if any one knew anything about doing that. Well I will have five hatches before this hatch a long is over and will probably set at least three during it……I am happy someone already answered this one….

Gryeyes posted a picture of the pond ladder she uses. It helps critters of all kinds get out of the water safely. She set 6 Turkey eggs. Are Turkeys critters?

Cmfarm joined from Elgin, TX. Mike hooked up mstricer with Turkey eggs! Nice folks too!
highfive.gif

Arielle is not setting eggs—she is roasting a Turkey! And sometimes the smoke in the oven. Maybe she should cook them in a smoker if they are going to smoke in the oven…..
th

JulieNKC posted a video of African Goslings trying to adopt a duckling: Post 818
love.gif

Yinepu posted that her husband was back from Deployment injured. It is a happy and stressful time so she will be AWOL. Blessings!
celebrate.gif

Razadia set 3 duck eggs and has an evil duck. Razadia is a bit tied but doing great(Sally wanted to know..)

I joined the Hatch a long! SCG egg bombs people! Wolftracks pointed out that the witch from Hanzel and Gretle was misunderstood….
lau.gif

Turkey meat discussion alert! I hope I get to try one this year. Two are incubating….SCG is talking about candling again… We were treated to poetry in the late Afternoon\evening….Now that the setting is mostly none now comes the waiting.....

th

Quote: Carefully sand off the brown pigment in stripes, end to end, to look like a striped watermelon. Look at Renee's posts, ( CHooksChick) and see if she has instructions listed. I got the info from her originally. I know I have it stored in Word if you need me to find it.

Did you see Renees link?

Last edited:
Ok,

Broody hen contest is created. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...second-annual-cinco-de-mayo-turkey-hatchathon
I'll go back and post contests to the first page, too!

Yay!!!

Posting that volume of adorableness is just sadistic and wrong.

Quote:
Your avatar is just sadistic and wrong. There seems to be a trend. I must be suffering a fermented grape juice insufficiency.

Female hormone fluctuation and overload necessitates this supplementary dietary addition.

th
th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 4-9-2013

Chooks Chicks has anarchy at her place! Cats are in heat! They want to mate but instead keep dropping in front of people……Still contests will be organized…..
clap.gif

Lotsapaints set late due to staggered hatching. Chicken pickin set chicken eggs now and will set more later. A cracked egg was fixed with wax.
thumbsup.gif

Wolftracks had the high winds(close to 50mph) damage her pens!

OffGridMAMA joined the hatch! Thebirdguy joined too! HappyAcresKY joined due to learning so much last year! Gardeningmala is in too!
Cmfarm asked about quail hatching--Hard shell causing problems? Was told to add calcium to food for them.
clap.gif

Poetry from Tammy N! Poetry from karimw!
love.gif

cauuseRanch got the turkey eggs today!

Sally Sunshine baby sits so she knows how to turn a sweat shirt into a straight jacket….
hide.gif

Wisher1000 is the designated slapper for those wanting to candle early….SCG Candled early and thinks maybe something will be able to see more tonight Ok Wisher here goes…
smack.gif

Mrshaggie810 changed the bulb in the home made incubator and all is well now…
woot.gif

Ceocka had 20 hatch today.
woot.gif

Tommmysgirl had Dr. Seuss for a Baby Sitter so she is very good at rhyming….
thumbsup.gif

Razadia is still adding eggs….to her incubator!
wee.gif

Diqard hates Utah power!
somad.gif
Wax Murtle has a Broody!
ep.gif

Check out post 1024. Am I hatching one of those?
hu.gif

Tazcat70 spent 52 minutes helping a random person post and add on Craig’s List…

Dsqard posted pictures of Brahmas….Post 1051. Now many of us want Brahmas....
droolin.gif

Broody Hen Contest https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/765822/broody-picture-contest-for-the-second-annual-cinco-de-mayo-turkey-hatchathon

Emus! Post 1069
love.gif

What?
379fc2fa_ss-110217-bent-objects-05.ss_full.jpeg

Have a Great Evening!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom