second attack from hawk in 13 months one of my bantam pullets vanished in daylight :(

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
I have had two banty sized girls disappear. the one last year, i witnessed it and the cooper hawk flew off before dropping my banty hen he had hidden under him dead. All my flock took cover for hours.

so now thirteen months later, two days ago, Thursday morning, i went outside approx one- two hours hour later than usual to feed and my flock was darting underneath stuff taking cover. Later that evening, during feed time on Thursday, i see my serama&seabright without My banty EE violet, (these three stuck together like glue.. were a trio,) then Thursday nite, it is confirmed something got her. She wasnt roosting with everyone else ..i have a big backyard.. no dogs no cats. Ugh. I looked for her everywhere underneath stuff! First time i have had one go MIA and not know the official cause SUCKS!

whats your opinion of chunnels? Atleast for my banty sized portion and cheapest way to make one?

whats your opinion of chunnels? Atleast for my banty sized portion and cheapest way to make one?
I made this chunnel-type tractor out of scrap wood and 2x4" welded fence. It is 8'x4'. I used it before I was comfortable with supervised free ranging. How long (length) are you wanting the chunnel? You could modify this design to either longer or shorter sections and connect them together. I think it would save them from an aerial attack, but a ground predator could easily slide underneath it.
WP_20161009_17_59_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20161009_17_59_31_Pro.jpg

I made this chunnel-type tractor out of scrap wood and 2x4" welded fence. It is 8'x4'. I used it before I was comfortable with supervised free ranging. How long (length) are you wanting the chunnel? You could modify this design to either longer or shorter sections and connect them together. I think it would save them from an aerial attack, but a ground predator could easily slide underneath it.View attachment 1566104
View attachment 1566105
Cool, I've made a similar shelter using stocknet but it's a large circle with a lid on.
The holes in the stock net are big enough for a chicken to get through but a hawk with open wings couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom