Second Opinion on Gender

lsg1007

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Missouri
I purchased 4 "rainbow pullets" as more interested in gender (and most of the breeds were straight runs) and 1 brown leghorn pullet. All "feather sexed" as pullets initially - but unsure how accurate this is. All about 2 wks old. I am now starting to second guess myself and think I may have all roos. All seem to have tree trunks for legs and have seemed to have stalled out on their feathering. I know that it is still early, but do not want to miss getting new chicks this year at the local store while waiting too long to confirm gender. I think I have 1 australorp, 2 SLW (one of which I thought was a roo when I got it and is extremely slow to feather compared to others - no tail and shoulder feathers and comb seems more defined ), ? columbian wyandotte (although straight comb) - light gray coloring not really showing on pic and the known leghorn.

Slow growing SLW

Australorp, ?Columbian Wyandotte and slow feathering SLW

2 SLW (leghorn in the way back)

Is this a Columbia Wyandotte, other breed or mutt (and is it a roo or hen)?

Thanks for any help...

The Wyandotte in your first picture looks like a roo. It is too soon to tell with the others.

The chick in your last picture looks like it has a single comb and is probably not a Wyandotte.

I think it's a little too soon for gender guesses but beautiful birds!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Featherland. I thought he looked like a roo too at the time I bought him(?her), but as it was in the pullet bin I had hope and as it was so sweet and pretty (and it's feathers alternated in length). I bought the other SLW because I was fairly certain that the first was a roo. However, still our favorite. He (?she) runs up to the kids and snuggles down in their laps. The light grey does the same, so probably another roo. I have never had a grey chick before. Do they commonly end up solid white or will it have black on it. Columbian Rock maybe? Or likely hatchery throw back.

Here's an update with the chicks, now at 3 wks.

The probable cockerel on far left, ? pullet in middle and ?australorp pullet on far right. What I thought was an australorp has developed lacing on her breast. She has black/gray legs, perhaps just a "mutt." Does anyone know?

Wattles on ?pullet (middle chick above and the one with faster feather development) - noticed development at 2 wks. I also observe that although the probable male chicks comb is redder more often, this one's comb will also become red - seems to have to do with temperature (the warmer the chick the redder the comb and wattles)

Does anyone know the breed of this chick? Was originally light gray with yellow splash on head, now growing larger than the other chicks and so far all white (except for the remaining light gray fluff). I think it is a pullet, but could be wrong

Thanks for your insight. I gave our roo in training to a woman who was very much wanting a SLW roo. My kids were so sad to see him go, I wanted to make sure they wouldn't have to say goodbye again soon.

Back
Top Bottom