Secret Serama Nest

Oh I remember your new coop building now! Looks like they are handling the cold very well.

With that large enclosed building, i would think you could cut the door on the box to open almost the entire side, like make the door almost the full width of the box. All the girls would probably lay eggs in it, unless you have nest boxes elsewhere too, and would be easier human access?

Or.... how about hinges on the bottom or side of the large side wall, make the whole side of the box into a door instead of a fixed wall.
We have a few nest boxes in other places. I want to keep the chicks somewhat separate because they are so small. I'm afraid the big chickens may try to eat them. I think we are going to make the big wall a door so we can open it and close it.

So I candled the eggs yesterday and got their warming box setup with a chick feeder and waterer. During candleing something horrible happened. I dropped one of the smallest eggs and it had a crack in it with blood coming out. I felt TERRIBLE. This particular egg had been showing great development and the chick inside looked to be around day 13 or 14. I cried on and off yesterday. I feel so so bad. No more candleing for me. They will hatch when they hatch. I keep meaning to take pictures. My chickens were relocated last year to my inlaws house so I can't just go out and see them whenever I want :( Hoping to go over today to check on everything. I will get a picture of the hens and the warming box and their eggs.
Did you put the egg back into the incubator?

Attachments

• aaamomoneggs.jpg
    aaamomoneggs.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 5
Well it's too darn cold and the serama chicks should be hatching in the next couple days. I made the executive decision to move both hens and their eggs to our house in a brooder. I don't have a heat lamp on them. It's much warmer in our house than their coop so I think they will do just fine for the next week or two. Once the weather warms up I will move them back to their warming box in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom