Secret Serama Nest

Pics

Aleelupton

Songster
Jul 3, 2018
Warren, Ohio
My husband and I just returned home from a week long trip to Guatemala to find that two of our Serama hens had gone missing. We searched and searched and finally found that they had a secret nest under our "coop" inside their coop (big 10×12 shed) which had 20 eggs in it. I candled all the eggs and it seems all but two are developing with most pretty far along in the process. I have never hatched eggs before, but after looking at pictures on the internet I would guess they will hatch in the next 5-8 days. I have relocated the eggs and hens to the "coop" inside their coop which is a a big insulated wooden box with a cozy coop heater mounted inside it. Most of my chickens have been roosting in the rafters rather than using the box we made them. With our weather being so cold (northeast Ohio 30 min south of the lake) can our hens successfully hatch these eggs and will the chicks survive? My thought was to put a chick water and feeder in the box with pine shavings and allow the hens to raise them. Given the temperature and the fact that these are Seramas is this feasible? If not, what are some suggestions?

I usually keep them blocked off from the others for the first week to 10 days, then I let the broody decide when to take them out. I've found its easier for her to integrate them early, while they still stay close to her, she is more fierce. Once they get a bit older and venture further from her, they get picked on a little more. But all flocks are different, so you may have to experiment. :)
Can't wait to see how they do! :)

WP_20180326_17_29_36_Pro.jpg
IMG_2073.JPG

a little size perspective for @sean_wonder :)
They aren't much bigger than quail lol
WP_20180321_09_41_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20160531_005.jpg

Chickens have been known to successfully hatch clutches in the winter months. As long as they are in a dry, ventilated coop, they should be fine.

I’d definitely dispose of any eggs that are not developing, which will reduce the number of eggs under those tiny broodies!

Best of luck on the hatch! :jumpy
Keep us posted and share some photos!! :highfive:

Depending on how many hatch, they could definitely be ok. I’m not too far south of you, and also have a serama pullet on eggs. I’ve also had seramas hatch in December and January in previous years.

I find them to generally be wonderful mothers, although I have a couple that only stick with the chicks for 4-5 weeks, when others tend to them for much longer. Being so small, I have on occasion, had chicks die, but it’s either ones that just fail to thrive, or get away from momma and can’t get back. They can be adventurous little devils. :)

My first winter with seramas, I had a pullet hatch some chicks and I gave them some heat. Bad move in my case, because she moved with some that had already hatched, but left eggs that hadn’t yet hatched, so they didn’t hatch. I ended up bringing her and the chicks inside for a week, but now I don’t find that to be necessary, unless it’s extra cold, like below zero. Hopefully our temps will be picked up enough that heat won’t be necessary. If they are secure from wind, they “should” be ok. But you’ll kinda have to trust your gut on how hardy your birds are.

Good luck! They are a very fun breed to watch raise their young.

Oh I remember your new coop building now! Looks like they are handling the cold very well.

With that large enclosed building, i would think you could cut the door on the box to open almost the entire side, like make the door almost the full width of the box. All the girls would probably lay eggs in it, unless you have nest boxes elsewhere too, and would be easier human access?

Or.... how about hinges on the bottom or side of the large side wall, make the whole side of the box into a door instead of a fixed wall.

I have had many serama brood in the winter and have raised chicks to weaning. I provide a heat lamp on the coldest days. For me, the problems start when the mothers decide to go back to laying. Usually at the three week mark-too small to keep themselves warm in the winter the chicks can not compete with bigger birds for the heat lamp. At this point I move them into the house. This year I'm moving the broodies into the house,

My last hatch-Both
AAA.jpg
AAA.jpg
AA.jpg
parents are under 10 ounces and could not survive the winter outside

View attachment 1689531

Oh dear. I’m so sorry. I hate it when that happens. But you aren’t the only one that has done it, and feels like a total heal for it. :hugs

I wash my hands before handling and keep them a bit damp. It helps with the slippery little devils. Also candling in place is usually pretty safe, but accidents happen, so don’t beat yourself up too much. :(
X 2. Even after 50 years it still happens.

Back
Top Bottom