Secret Serama Nest

My brooder wasn't clean so here is our makeshift brooder area in our upstairs spare bedroom. The hens seem to like it. Hoping to see chicks really soon!
20190306_112029.jpg

As of this morning 6 chicks have hatched a d one more has pipped! I will get more pictures after the hatching is all done. I don't want to disturb them too much. It looks like we have a black chick with a white belly, a light grey chick and a dark grey chick, two chipmunk looking chicks, and one light creamy brown one so far.
20190311_115046.jpg

Thank you everyone for the replies! I will get pictures of the eggs candled to.orrow or Thursday and will absolutely post pictures of the chicks. Here is the box as is, but we are going to make some modifications to make it more accessible to us to clean out and check on the chicks. Keep in mind out shed is new and this spring we are insulting it as well as adding roost bars and boards, nesting boxing, and a broody/chick pen.
received_395492981205796.jpeg

I usually keep them blocked off from the others for the first week to 10 days, then I let the broody decide when to take them out. I've found its easier for her to integrate them early, while they still stay close to her, she is more fierce. Once they get a bit older and venture further from her, they get picked on a little more. But all flocks are different, so you may have to experiment. :)
Can't wait to see how they do! :)

View attachment 1685638 View attachment 1685636

a little size perspective for @sean_wonder :)
They aren't much bigger than quail lol
View attachment 1685637
View attachment 1685641

The chick in that last photo looks like one of the Easter basket decorations! So cute :love

So I candled the eggs yesterday and got their warming box setup with a chick feeder and waterer. During candleing something horrible happened. I dropped one of the smallest eggs and it had a crack in it with blood coming out. I felt TERRIBLE. This particular egg had been showing great development and the chick inside looked to be around day 13 or 14. I cried on and off yesterday. I feel so so bad. No more candleing for me. They will hatch when they hatch. I keep meaning to take pictures. My chickens were relocated last year to my inlaws house so I can't just go out and see them whenever I want :( Hoping to go over today to check on everything. I will get a picture of the hens and the warming box and their eggs.

So sorry about the accident, that would have been upsetting :hugs

So I candled the eggs yesterday and got their warming box setup with a chick feeder and waterer. During candleing something horrible happened. I dropped one of the smallest eggs and it had a crack in it with blood coming out. I felt TERRIBLE. This particular egg had been showing great development and the chick inside looked to be around day 13 or 14. I cried on and off yesterday. I feel so so bad. No more candleing for me. They will hatch when they hatch. I keep meaning to take pictures. My chickens were relocated last year to my inlaws house so I can't just go out and see them whenever I want :( Hoping to go over today to check on everything. I will get a picture of the hens and the warming box and their eggs.

Oh dear. I’m so sorry. I hate it when that happens. But you aren’t the only one that has done it, and feels like a total heal for it. :hugs

I wash my hands before handling and keep them a bit damp. It helps with the slippery little devils. Also candling in place is usually pretty safe, but accidents happen, so don’t beat yourself up too much. :(

Well it's too darn cold and the serama chicks should be hatching in the next couple days. I made the executive decision to move both hens and their eggs to our house in a brooder. I don't have a heat lamp on them. It's much warmer in our house than their coop so I think they will do just fine for the next week or two. Once the weather warms up I will move them back to their warming box in the coop.

Probably a good idea. These next few days are gonna be frigid after having a few warmer days.

I had a hen gathering eggs, I didn’t realize how many she had till this evening. Many of them were cold, so I only left her with 2 that I saw growth and movement in. Another hen in another nest box has 6, but both sets are early on, so hopefully it will warm back up soon. :fl

Good luck, hope you get some cuties real soon!

Back
Top Bottom