Seed Starting

Started some squash today, zucchini & butternut. Only did 3 of each which is probably too many 🤣

F418B029-B08B-44E6-AB73-30012A20563C.jpeg

Zone 5 here. Started peppers, celery, and some herbs last weekend. I *think* I have some planting to do next weekend, have to consult my journal/calendar to make sure!
Apologies if this was addressed in any other of the following pages, but any advice on growing celery?? We are in zone 8a and I cannot figure out why celery hates me so much! I’ve struggled to grow it in the past and have major garden envy of anyone who shows off their beautiful stalks.

Apologies if this was addressed in any other of the following pages, but any advice on growing celery?? We are in zone 8a and I cannot figure out why celery hates me so much! I’ve struggled to grow it in the past and have major garden envy of anyone who shows off their beautiful stalks.
I don’t do anything special. Just sprinkle a bunch of seeds in my trays and wait. It takes FOREVER to get started. Once it grows a bit I separate into bigger planters. It has taken well when I put it in the ground. The first two attempts I gave up on since it took so long. The 3rd year it sprouted on day 16!

I’m located it UT and started my peppers last Saturday (3/11)

I found these cool silicone seed trays, sili-seedlings. 5 fit perfectly in a 1020 flat.

I’m also using a heat mat & covering with domes.

View attachment 3435534
View attachment 3435535
Peppers this year we are doing big guy jalapeños, habaneros, carnival bells & Hungarian wax (which we’ve never done before)
Those look pretty neat

I don't remember if it was on this thread...

I have a lot of tomato seeds that sprout, but the leaves don't push the seed hull off. Someone told me to dab a drop of water on the hull a couple times a day, and it'll soften. Then the leaves can keep growing and push it off, or you can gently pull it off.

That works very well! So now I need to wonder if my potting soil is too dry, ie, I should water more.

I can’t grow hot pepper plants for the life of me. I bought a habanero plant and it looks super sad. I live in zone 8 Sw Nevada. What am I doing wrong? My other seeds I grow in a grow tent so I can grow all year and not have bolt with summer heat.

Back
Top Bottom