Seed Starting

Zone 5 here. Started peppers, celery, and some herbs last weekend. I *think* I have some planting to do next weekend, have to consult my journal/calendar to make sure!
Did you see my pepper pic, since you’ve got peppers going too do you think mine look leggy?

What are you doing next weekend? I’ll be doing carrots outside next weekend *fingers crossed* as long as the weather cooperates.

Did you see my pepper pic, since you’ve got peppers going too do you think mine look leggy?

What are you doing next weekend? I’ll be doing carrots outside next weekend *fingers crossed* as long as the weather cooperates.
We still have snow. 😂 Would like to throw some radish seed down but that won’t happen. If you add some grow lights that legginess should correct itself. I think it might be tomatoes or brassicas next week…I know both are coming up to start but I can’t remember which is first!

Yes they’re just in a windowsill for now, which we’ve had fairly sunny days and it’s a south facing window. But this week is supposed to be cloudy ALL week so I think lights is gonna be the way to go.

As far as substrate I am using a local nurseries in house mix and then vermiculite on top of the seeds. I took a seed starting class at that nursery and that’s what they said they use and I have been using their plants in my garden for years and they’ve always done well so I decided to do it the way they do.

My pepper seed packets said germination 10-21 days, I was shocked when on day 4 I had seedlings. I’ve also been doing lots of reading and up to 3 weeks sounds totally normal.
Thanks for the advice, now I know I have to be more patient about germination. ;)

We still have snow. 😂 Would like to throw some radish seed down but that won’t happen. If you add some grow lights that legginess should correct itself. I think it might be tomatoes or brassicas next week…I know both are coming up to start but I can’t remember which is first!
Got the lights comin! I’m hoping that takes care of it. I read that I should bury them down to the leaves? Or should I just let them do their thing?

I have peppers, tomatoes, basil, eggplant seeded indoors. I start as early as January but a little behind this year, so didn't get them in soil until Feb. I just use 4" pots (have plenty saved in the garage) so I only have to transplant once before they go into the ground, and commercial starter mix. Grow light and heating mat since the peppers and eggplants seem to need it. Mine get a bit leggy but it doesn't seem to affect the plants later on.

Already have radish, peas, arugula and some other greens direct seeded outdoors. This is the first warm weekend this spring!

I have peppers, tomatoes, basil, eggplant seeded indoors. I start as early as January but a little behind this year, so didn't get them in soil until Feb. I just use 4" pots (have plenty saved in the garage) so I only have to transplant once before they go into the ground, and commercial starter mix. Grow light and heating mat since the peppers and eggplants seem to need it. Mine get a bit leggy but it doesn't seem to affect the plants later on.

Already have radish, peas, arugula and some other greens direct seeded outdoors. This is the first warm weekend this spring!
That’s good to hear that legginess (is that a word?) doesn’t affect the plants later. That was my biggest concern.

It’s a nice weekend here for us too! I maybe should of done my carrots today instead of gambling on next weekend!

Back
Top Bottom