Seed Starting

Pics
It's nice to see a seed starting thread. I've actually been running into a few problems concerning my own indoor-sown seeds. We planted some 72 cell seed trays, placing two seeds in each cell. We are using grow lights that worked fine last year. The difference is the soil. We got natural, organic seed starting media, I believe it's from the Burpee brand. In any case, I pre-moistened the soil in a bucket and then filled the trays with it. But even with that I've been having a lot of trouble keeping the trays moist. I'll drench the trays one day and 1-2 days later they're bone dry, as if they weren't watered in weeks. I suspect I'm having difficulties because the soil contains peat moss, which can repel water. Most of our seeds have not sprouted, and not having moist enough media is probably the culprit. I did use humidity domes, but once a couple of seeds starting sprouting I had to take it off, and since then little to no seeds have sprouted on some of my trays. I don't think it's from bad seed, as all of our seeds were purchased fairly recently and most are name-brand (Burpee, Ferry Morse, Baker's Creek ect.). Any advise would be appreciated.
How long ago did you plant them? And what is it that you planted?

Are you using heat mats? It could be that they aren’t warm enough.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes aren't even related. Sweet potatoes are in the morning glory family.

The leaves are edible, and I tried one. Bleah. Fuzzy. Maybe if they were steamed or cooked some way.

This will be my second try with sweet potatoes. The first time (2-3 years ago), I got nothing. My season is short -- I'm in zone 5b. This time, I'm going to pre-warm the soil before planting. The slips I ordered are from Maine Potato Lady. I figure if they can grow in Maine, they can grow here. At least, I'll give them a try.
Really? Interesting, I didn’t know they weren’t related.

Do you have a photo of these slips?

Yes, there a bit leggy.
Most likely do to lighting issues but it could also be too much heat.
You said you have grow lights on order so it's a bit late for this but, when looking for grow lights look for a light that has 2000 to 3000 lumens (at minimum) and around 5000-6500 Kelvin (K). A light that is at least 2000 lumen will give you a good ''brightness" for seedlings and one that is 5000-6500 Kelvin (K) will have the correct light spectrum (green/'blue to light blue) for plants in growth and will give off a white to slightly blue hue without any red or purple hue.
I had a real hard time finding some good info on what lights to get, specifically color. The ones I ordered are 5000k and they’re just white. Should I have got a different color?

Last edited:
Plant I start indoors are tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, pickles, and zucchini.

Are you wanting to grow Organic or Synthetic?
Do you want to mix your own seed starting mix or buy premixed?
What are you looking at starting from seed?
I prefer organic

I bought premixed from a local nursery that they do in house

This year I’m only doing peppers, tomatoes & squash for indoor seeds.

So far my marigolds, calendula, and borage were the fastest to germinate after just 24 hours-everything was cold stratified, either moist or dry. The greek oregano, german thyme, and pink and white yarrow took 48 hours-I'm using a very ancient bag of Black Gold Organic potting soil, it was so hard to get moist again, I had to massage the water into it!

The chickweed and holy basil took 4 days, but they're coming along nicely now. Wild Bergamot (bee balm) took a little longer. I think the only thing that hasn't germinated is my peppermint seeds. This year I just tamped the tiny seeds down into the surface and didn't cover them and got much higher germ rates. I'm not growing anything that might disappoint me with an early frost, like tomatoes and peppers even though I love them. I just want to grow easy chicken herbs and perennials this year and hopefully establish plants that come back next year. I'm scared to see what -40 degrees did to my 2 year old fruit trees and new blackberries! I really wanted those mulberry trees for chicken fodder. \

As for seed starting lights, I get awesome results with 4' 4 bulb T5 fixtures, I'm using a brand new one this year after my durolux brand burned out-the new one is the Ipower brand and it's the best seed starting light I've ever had.
I got the Barrina t5 lights in white

1.jpg

Internet picture

How long ago did you plant them? And what is it that you planted?

Are you using heat mats? It could be that they aren’t warm enough.
We planted them on 2/16/23 through 2/21/23. The crops were mostly brassicas and greens.

I'm not using heat mats for them because I've heard it can be a bad idea to warm the soil for cool crops such as these. Should I use one to jump start their germination and then take it off?

Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom