Seeking advice for improved winter watering

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
I have 7 chickens and currently use a 5 gal plastic Harris waterer with a compatible heated base. The water used to last 5 days before needing a change, usually for freshness rather than getting low on water. Lately this has changed. I am needing to change the water almost daily because the water gets low. There is no noticeable leaking, so it appears that my chickens are just drinking more, possibly due to colder temps (in the teens) and the fact that they have started to lay?? Anyway, I don't enjoy lugging heavy water in the cold early hours, so I need to make a change. My gut is telling me to go smaller and get two waterers (5 qt @ $6.49), so I can more easily fill and carry them... then I got tempted by the OverEZ Waterer, which is supposed to provide clean water for up to a month. Any experienced advice?
1612021637867.png 1612021912182.png

I have 7 chickens and currently use a 5 gal plastic Harris waterer with a compatible heated base. The water used to last 5 days before needing a change, usually for freshness rather than getting low on water. Lately this has changed. I am needing to change the water almost daily because the water gets low. There is no noticeable leaking, so it appears that my chickens are just drinking more, possibly due to colder temps (in the teens) and the fact that they have started to lay?? Anyway, I don't enjoy lugging heavy water in the cold early hours, so I need to make a change. My gut is telling me to go smaller and get two waterers (5 qt @ $6.49), so I can more easily fill and carry them... then I got tempted by the OverEZ Waterer, which is supposed to provide clean water for up to a month. Any experienced advice?
View attachment 2508873View attachment 2508887
Do you have extra critters helping themselves to the water?

Oh shoot, I meant rubber bowls., but yes, they can kick things into the water
I use the same dura flex rubber bowls. If it is below freezing I fill twice a day. Yes they get dirt into them. Rinse it out. Freezes over night I take it outside and step on it. The ice comes out.
I have couple smaller waterers I fill from the tub, just the drinking portion. So it does not freeze and break the waterers
In the morning most of them head out to roam, look for food. They eat snow. It is their choice not like they do not have feed and water.

Mine don't free range & the coop is covered, so they have no access to snow. They tend to get in the bowls and make a mess when I use them for wet mash & kitchen scraps. I'm leaning toward purchasing 2 small waterers that I can switch out daily and have prefilled/ready to go in the morning. Easiest and cheapest solution for the short term.

I'm still curious if anyone has had a positive or negative experience with the OverEZ 12 gal nipple waterer, though. Does the water really stay fresh for a month, even when heated? Do the nipples freeze up in the cold? Do the chickens drip water all over the ground when the drink from it, causing muddy, wet feet and slippery ice? It's expensive, so I don't want to make a bad investment. Would love to hear from anyone who has used this product and can share the good & bad.

Do you have extra critters helping themselves to the water?
Yes possum. The possum like to go in when the door is open to the barn for the day and drink water and eat the food.
I have had 3 possum die from acute lead poisoning so far this year.
I have a new possum in the barn, this one been sneaky. I might have to put a leg trap out for it.
As long as the possum have food they do not bother the chickens as I have found. (so far last couple years)
If the chickens in the late afternoon, evening, are not roosting or hanging around normally I know something is in the barn or was. Or sometimes roosting making alot of noise. They are concerned about something.
Racoon in spring coming from their dens prolly be the next problem.

Also have the local birds fly in the barn I am sure they eat good to.

Back
Top Bottom