Seeking advice on winterizing and predator-proofing (photo heavy)

We are down in Augusta, Ga and I have been having the same concerns with our first time flock. The mid 20s the last 2 nights had/has me concerned.

My 10 chickens survived last winter here in northern Minnesota with temps as low as -35F at night, without any heat in their coop. I built my coop with a couple sliding windows (North and South) for cross ventilation and I also have a couple vents at the top of the rafter peeks (East and West). If it gets really windy/stormy in the winter, I will close the north window.

My understanding is that chickens need a well vented coop, but not a drafty coop. A vented coop lets the warm moist air escape the coop and you do not build up that ammonia smell. A drafty coop is not good for the chickens if the draft comes up from underneath their roost, which cools down the chickens. So I have my roost on the opposite end of the windows, which allows cross ventilation but does not really create any drafts under their roost.

Also, for our cold climate, I built my roost out of a 2X4 laid flat. This allows the chickens to roost on the 2X4 with their feet entirely on the board and they lay their body on their feet - which keeps them warmer.

I don't know how much of my experience is relevant to winter in GA, but take what works for you.

Here is what I had as idea. If you would cover the area I outlined in red with the X , your roost area would be generally draft free. No direct wind blasting at your chickens on the roost.
The prevailing wind wall, whichever you determine to be, I would cover with plastic top to bottom.
image_2020-12-03_012739.png

You have a large coop, to try to seal up completely draft free. I think since you are not in a very cold zone, covering over the portions where the roosts are would work to keep chickens comfortable. Consider clear plastic drop-cloths, like used for painting. Staple them where you see need, and it should work. The Plastic is not very durable, but only needs to stay for a short winter season. It is also not very expensive, so in spring time , just rip off.

:thumbsup Yes, that is what I was thinking. OP can also get a heavier grade clear plastic that would last longer and maybe reuse it for a number of years.

Vinyl table cloth covers, the clear ones that usually sell for $5 for a 6x8 or so, are MUCH more durable than the cheaper vinyl shower curtains and a lot of other more affordable plastic options that I've tried over the years. Plexiglass is my ultimate favorite solution, but I never seem to be able to afford more than chunk a year.

I want to do them at the same time because it would be a waste to put hardware cloth everywhere to predator-proof and then have to put boards on top of that to winterize.

Yes, hardware cloth is a big investment. But chicken wire is really only good for keeping chickens in the enclosure, it's not very good at keeping predators out as many predators can rip/bite through chicken wire easily. If you put up clear plastic over the hardware cloth for the winter months in GA, I would think you would be just fine.

Everyone has different predator concerns. My chicken run is just 2X4 welded wire which is good enough to stop the neighborhood dogs during the daytime, which I call predator-resistant. At nighttime, my chickens are locked up in a Fort Knox coop that essentially is predator-proof. It would probably take a bear to break into my coop at night.

But I don't have to worry about too much heat in summer for northern MN. My coop is almost all wood with only a couple sliding windows and vents at the roof ridges. It was built to keep the chickens warmer in the winter. Your coop is completely different, but I think plastic over the hardware cloth would be good for you.

:thumbsup for the great pictures. Sometimes I wish I lived in a warmer climate and could have my chickens in a more open coop like yours. I like the way you have things set up for your chickens. Very nice.

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. :)

Everyone has different predator concerns. My chicken run is just 2X4 welded wire which is good enough to stop the neighborhood dogs during the daytime, which I call predator-resistant. At nighttime, my chickens are locked up in a Fort Knox coop that essentially is predator-proof. It would probably take a bear to break into my coop at night.
It probably would have been useful for me to mention what predators we have. 😅

Definitely coyotes and opossums. I assume weasels and raccoons. Something that can take a head off through chicken wire. Havent had an issue with the neighbors dog in a couple years but its always a possibility. Rats though I havent seen them cause any actual damage. Squirrels but theyre even less of a problem than the rats. We have cats but I've only had issues when we have chicks and thats a whole different setup since they can get out of the tiniest hole. I do live in a populated area so on one hand I assume that's bad because trash and whatnot will encourage predators stick around but on the other hand it means my chickens arent the only food for miles.

Back
Top Bottom