Seeking Info on new "Asia Black" Chicken "Breed"

I've found it difficult to locate reliable information. I had a mystery chick from a rare breed assortment. I thought she might be an Asian Black but I'm pretty convinced that she's a Black Orpington now. @MrLeeHo I've never seen a chick with that many toes! I hope you post more photos as she matures!

i purchased 2 a few weeks ago and they look very different at 4 weeks old. One is larger that the other with a bit of red showing and the other has black skin and a 5th toe...i am curious to see how they develop and if they are what they were advertised to be...View attachment 2583739View attachment 2583742
That chick looks like a mystic onyx/southern rambler- a silkie hybrid.

So at first I didn't put it together but now I see that at Freedom Ranger Hatchery they do list what they call a

Southern Midnight - Southern Rambler​

This appears to be the same as a Mystic Onyx as it is a Silkie Cross.

So at first I didn't put it together but now I see that at Freedom Ranger Hatchery they do list what they call a

Yeah, “southern rambler” and “mystic onyx” are different names for the same hybrid.

Yeah, “southern rambler” and “mystic onyx” are different names for the same hybrid.
They have more information about these Southern Ramblers at Freedom Ranger Hatchery. At least a lot more info than Hoover supplies.

But although they are listed they don't have any available hatch dates to order. Just like in their Sagitta's and Aguila's. No dates to order and ship.

I have two Asian Blacks that look as advertised. One seems to have a very different body build than the other (one is sleek and tall, one is more short and plumper), but they both lay pale tannish eggs that are a nice big size. One of them has laid double-yolk eggs before, too. Overall, it's a good breed that seems not to be totally developed yet (in the way of consistency of the breed).

This is a picture of my roo Vash. He was claimed to be one of these Asian Blacks. Anyone know if he looks like he is supposed to? Does he look like something else? I don't trust TS anymore because half of the chicks I got from them were not what they claimed them to be. And since this was my first chicken venture, I didn't know better :/

- just a couple days old

- About 2 months

- today at 7.5 months

Heh for what its worth the hen below him was claimed to be an asian black as well :/

I had two of those! Softest birds I'd ever owned. Unfortunately, they disappeared at about six months old. I'd love to get some new ones, and the two that I had were very beautiful.

Hoover calls them a breed, but the reality is that they aren't even close. There is no consistency to them, and they aren't being bred toward any sort of specific standard.
Much like the Production Red or Pioneer. They aren't ever going to become a 'breed', no matter how much you may like them.
This "breed" word is just tearing you up isn't it

Hoover calls them a breed, but the reality is that they aren't even close. There is no consistency to them, and they aren't being bred toward any sort of specific standard.
Much like the Production Red or Pioneer. They aren't ever going to become a 'breed', no matter how much you may like them.
This "breed" word is just tearing you up isn't it

Back
Top Bottom