Seeking Info on new "Asia Black" Chicken "Breed"

Pics
I too, purchased Asian Black chicks at TSCa few weeks ago. As chicks, they were black with a little yellow under belly. As they've started to grow, they're losing the yellow and are only black now. The comb changed from white to black, the feet are black and the skin is turning black also. These I have are SOLID black all over and they are only 6-7 weeks old currently. Both of mine seem to be hens. The rep at TSC said this was a new and rare breed. (For what that's worth) I only raise them for egg laying and don't run a farm, so I can't say what is what, lol. I'm gonna try to pull up some younger pics of them.

This is the day I got them, maybe a week or so old. Only the black ones in the pic are the Asian Black breed. According to some breeders that I spoke with, a true Asian Black is SOLID black with black combs, feet, skin and even the meat is dark. They are beautiful! The bin at TSC only said Asian Black and every chick in the bin was black, no yellows.

Last edited:
I too, purchased Asian Black chicks at TSCa few weeks ago. As chicks, they were black with a little yellow under belly. As they've started to grow, they're losing the yellow and are only black now. The comb changed from white to black, the feet are black and the skin is turning black also. These I have are SOLID black all over and they are only 6-7 weeks old currently. Both of mine seem to be hens. The rep at TSC said this was a new and rare breed. (For what that's worth) I only raise them for egg laying and don't run a farm, so I can't say what is what, lol. I'm gonna try to pull up some younger pics of them.

This is the day I got them, maybe a week or so old. Only the black ones in the pic are the Asian Black breed. According to some breeders that I spoke with, a true Asian Black is SOLID black with black combs, feet, skin and even the meat is dark. They are beautiful! The bin at TSC only said Asian Black and every chick in the bin was black, no yellows.
I'm curious to see how yours develop. They sound a lot more like what I'd expect of the name.
One of my "Asian black cockerels" has decided to be a BR pullet instead, lol. So I haven't a clue what I really got. They're very sweet though and I'm glad I have them.

So my black / blue asian yellow chick is def starting to change... Its turning more like the others but my others are 3 black and white 2 black and 1 black and red.... its actually looking like some kind of relation :)

I also have "Asian Blacks" from Tractor Supply. They were only a dollar a piece so I figured I would give them a try, this is my first run with chickens. This is what I have now! 2 hens and 2 roosters.

How old are they? I have 10 week old Asians and I am trying to figure out for sure what sex they are. None of mine have a comb like your two roos do, but they are only 10 weeks.

This is the odd white toe most of them have in common.

The pics 2 and 3 above are the same chick.

Not sure since I didn't mark the pics while taking them. I believe that pic 4 is a different chick than pic 5.
The wings on chick in pic 5 have hints of red-brown coming in. There is another of them that has even more red-brown already showing.

This is the one with the most red-brown. Below are her wings.

Any ideas what I've got???
Well this is strange. I just bought 10 straight run that looks just like the ones with red tints, oddly they were listed as " Concord Blacks" a chicken I've never heard of. I'll except whatever I got being how cheap they were. But after reading others TS chick experience, I don't think I'll be buying anymore chicks from them. I even ask the guy after noticing the red tints if he was sure they were all the same breed and he said, he put them in the bins himself, straight out the hoover boxes. So I don't know what I've got.

Well this is strange. I just bought 10 straight run that looks just like the ones with red tints, oddly they were listed as " Concord Blacks" a chicken I've never heard of. I'll except whatever I got being how cheap they were. But after reading others TS chick experience, I don't think I'll be buying anymore chicks from them. I even ask the guy after noticing the red tints if he was sure they were all the same breed and he said, he put them in the bins himself, straight out the hoover boxes. So I don't know what I've got.
umm I never heard of them either and couldn't find Concord Blacks in the hoover catalog
https://hoovershatchery.com/baby-chicks.html

Seem like every year they come out with a new "breed"..
I'd be willing to bet they are just a hybrid egg layer.
Post pics back when they get older!

Check this out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-concord-chickens.1190838/

umm I never heard of them either and couldn't find Concord Blacks in the hoover catalog
https://hoovershatchery.com/baby-chicks.html
Go to Hoovers, when you get to the Asian Blacks, Click on it and them stroll all the way down and you'll see them also called Concord Blacks and availability dates. I have no clue what Breed went into making them, But the couple Asian Black hens I already have are amazing sweet, hardy, good layers. Time will tell if the TS chicks I picked up are in fact really Asian Blacks or something else they made up.

What breed of chicken has the middle toe that color? I got 5 exotic chicks with my heritage cockerel order and one has those exact toes!

Back
Top Bottom