seems depressed. opening beak a bit occasionally to breathe. acting slow and lazy. non sociable.

FWIW, I've had to treat many peafowl and turkeys for blackhead and I almost always treat all of the ones that were housed with the sick one(s) just to be safe. You can buy metronidazole OTC online as Fish-Zole (250mg tablets), Meditrich (100mg tablets) or you can get it at Petsmart as API General Cure (250mg powder packs), but it's more expensive.

This is a thread you might want to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

-Kathy

thanks for your help everyone. I am loving this Backyard Chicken Site!

I am treating with Amprolium now for the Cocci

so I read the stuff about Blackhead and it sounds like I treat with Metronidazole first ( Fish Zole or API General Cure) which I should be able to pick up at Petco?

Next I need to treat with a good wormer --Valbuzen?, and another dose 12 days after so I can get the eggs that hatched.

As far as the crop--I need to offer Grit? and maybe some olive oil once per week, maybe mixed in oatmeal or something

I have always put ACV in the water and I give them yogurt once per week.

If you need to treat the other chickens directly with something & they are still being skittish, maybe you can catch them on their roost at night to dose them.

So, so sorry you lost Chip. It's obvious she was well-loved & will be missed. My condolences to you.
hugs.gif

Just went through the same thing, or very similar symptoms. Finally talked to the "bird vet" at Tx. A.M. Univ. Pretty much determined it was Mericks. Two of my hens were NOT vaccinated, (home hatched but they died last) . The rest were SUPPOSED to of been vaccinated. Came from a hobby farm in Ga. Lesson learned. Be very very careful where you aquire your birds.

thanks for your help everyone. I am loving this Backyard Chicken Site!

I am treating with Amprolium now for the Cocci

so I read the stuff about Blackhead and it sounds like I treat with Metronidazole first ( Fish Zole or API General Cure) which I should be able to pick up at Petco?

Next I need to treat with a good wormer --Valbuzen?, and another dose 12 days after so I can get the eggs that hatched.

As far as the crop--I need to offer Grit? and maybe some olive oil once per week, maybe mixed in oatmeal or something

I have always put ACV in the water and I give them yogurt once per week.

Some people do it that way, but per my vet I give them fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) on the first day along with metronidazole, then again in ten days. The dose of fenbendazole that I use is .5ml per 2.2 pounds, which is 50mg/kg and according to a book that my vet showed me just yesterday, that's the recommended amount to effectively treat the cecal worm. I didn't get the name of that book, but I'll call them today and ask, 'cause that looks like a good one to have.

You can get Safeguard at most feedstores, but people usually have to buy Valbazen online.

The API General Cure can be found at Petsmart, so probably at Petco, too, but it's only ten packs of powder, which is the same as ten tablets, but powder is so much harder to give them orally and putting in their drinking water won't work. Can you call your vet and ask him to call in a prescription for metronidazole (generic Flagyl) to your pharmacy? Should be about $1 per pill.

Regarding the crop... I'm not convinced there was a problem with the crop. I have seen this before, too, in that once the dying process starts, the organs start to shut down, the open mouth breathing starts and the crop doesn't empty. I'm not saying that's what happened with yours, but it is a possibility.

-Kathy

Today I gave them some yogurt with olive oil and flax seed as a treat. They still will not even let me pet them much less try to feed them a pill or a medicine dose.

Can I put any of these medications in yogurt or water? I will surely get pecked to death if I try to feed them. My husband grabbed the last set of roosters at night off the roost and got attacked by our alpha hen. Maybe I could wear a big helmet and gloves and some kind of padding. That wouldn't be scary for them?!?

The medications mentioned need to be given orally, not in water or yogurt... Just catch them at night when they're sleeping and do it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I saw on like someone mixed it with cooked eggs and cayenne pepper and her birds gobbled it up.
Looks to be a 5 day treatment.
I saw you can give the first worm treatment while I am doing this.
Can I do all this while I am treating for Cocci? or is that too much. The remaining birds are all still acting healthy and their poop looks normal. I hopefully am catching this on time

I have used Corid, metronidazole, Safeguard and Clavamox at the same time, and per my vet, I've also used metronidazole, Safeguard and Baytril at the same time.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom