Selecting best pullets for eggs

Optiker

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
SE Washington State
The time has come to reduce my flock from 12 three-month old black australorp pullets to the 6-7 I want to keep for egg production. Any tips on how to select the best to keep?

Probably not relevant, but the chosen ones will be integrated with the three 2-3 year old remaining hens from the previous flock, which collectively are laying an average of about 10 eggs/week.

Thanks!
Optiker

If you're in it for the eggs, cull some of the oldest hens and keep the pullets.

There are articles here and around the web about feeling for bone structure and looking at the shape of the hen to help determine laying ability ... have a look through some, but it's stilt a little bit of a crap shoot

Agreed with MG. I would replace all of the older hens at this point. If you had 1 year old hens, perhaps I'd keep them. But, your hens are not laying well. Time to replace them. I would keep the BA's that have the beefiest bodies. Either pick them up and guestimate which ones are the heaviest, or weigh them. Any with off colored feathers? That's a consideration. Personality, always a consideration.

Thanks Mace and lazy...

I plan to keep the older ones for now since the pullets are still a month or more off from laying. If we have problems integrating them, we'll butcher the old ones, but hope to keep them until they stop laying for this cycle. We're satisfied with their egg production for now.

I will try to go by weight and build. We do have several of the pullets which are smaller. They are probably at the bottom of the pecking order and may not get as much food for being bullied by the more aggressive ones. No off-color feathers.

So, your suggestions are a staring point, though I do understand that there's no foolproof method.

Thanks again!
Optiker

Try to adopt out your older layers if you can ... not sure what breed they are, but they could keep laying for years. Some casual chicken keeper may want them!

I agree with adopting them out since they still probably have many good laying years left for someone who just wants them for pets, and you could get some money for them too. I don't know how you would pick the best egg layers at this young age, but I would just go with the healthiest looking ones. Ones with bright eyes, not to skinny, and the most active.

Mace and pineapple...
Thanks!
We'll keep the three older ones for now. They are no trouble and we like them. :)
Mace....black australorp as in the original post.

Optiker

Back
Top Bottom